How do you define poor and rich?

I am continuing another question that I saw post that asked why poor people are more generous than rich people. I noticed some animosity in some of the answers and I'm really curious as to what rich is and what poor is in your mind.

Erin814

Asked by Erin814 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think that "Poor and rich" mean nothing to do with money. There are people with more money than they know what to do with that I would call poor due to their relationships and feelings about the world. Ont he other hand, there are people with nothing but the clothes on their back that are rich because they would give it up if you asked them for it without a second thought.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• it is simple to me...
    POOR= not having enough to survive without help.
    RICH= having to much or an excessive amount. having more then what you "need"

MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 12:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Poor is going to bed with an empty belly, because you don't have money for food, or having to choose between paying your rent or feeding your babies.

Rich- you know you've hit rich when you earn in a day what others earn in a year.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i was raised poor.
    Welfare, and hud. hand-me down clothes. not enough money for Christmas some years. etc.

Rich IMO is anyone who makes more than the average high-mid class American.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• it is simple to me...

Just curious:  Is there anything in between or is that the sole division in your mind?

Erin814

Comment by Erin814 (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Poor: living from paycheck to paycheck; being unable to afford anything but food, clothing, shelter, etc.
    Rich: not needing to work; being able to live off investments.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think Poor is Not having the Money or the means to provide what most consider the basic necessities in life (food, clothing, shelter, water)

Rich is being able to provide more than adequately and still having some left over (it is alo meaning to TRULY afford things)...if you can pay with CASH, you can afford it.

Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2010