Can a person in a relationship have opposite sex friends?

Where does it cross the line between a man/woman and their opposite sex friends when the man/woman is in a relationship? Is it ok for a man/woman in a relationship to have best friends they hang out alone with who are the opposite sex, or should the hanging out always be done with the persons partner around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I think that it would be more beneficial to the relationship and respectful if they all hung out together or with a group of friends. I think as long as your SO and their friend respect you and your relationship, there shouldn't be an issue.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think you can have friends of the opposite sex long as your not attracted to them
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Sex has nothing to do with friendship - or at least it shouldn't. I have tons of guy friends, and my DH has "girl" friends, there isn't any conflict, nor should there be. Just because a man & a woman are friends, or have things in common doesn't mean they are sleeping together or even want to be... Personally, I don't see why sex has to really have much to do with a friendship though. I mean, you and your DH/SO were friends before you started seeing each other right? Why would he expect that he was your only guy friend or that you would just remove the rest from your life once you got w/him - or visa versa w/him & female friends? If you are secure in your relationship, and have a partner you can trust, and have friends you can trust, there isn't an issue... If you aren't fitting all three of those criteria, then your friends sex isn't the biggest issue you have.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I have friends that my DH is ok with, and he has ones Im ok with. We make sure to always either hang out together with them, or let each other know that we're going to hang out. Especially if they are single.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 1:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It would depend. If they were friends for a long time and the DH doesnt have a problem with it then it isnt a problem. It is a matter of discretion. For instance if let say they friends go to a concert togther, nothing wronge with that, now if they spend the night in a one bed motel room well not a good idea. even if nothing happened, the what could happen and what if she is lieing to me is enough to drive an DH insaine and really unnessary. A good rule of thumb is if your DH done it and you would not aprove, then dont expect to do the same and not get the same reaction
    nurdreams

Answer by nurdreams at 2:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think it depends on the relationship of the couple and the kind of relationship you have with the friends. My guy friends will always be my friends and my ex knew that when we got together, he had no reason to be jealous or not trust me. There was one guy friend of mine he didn't like but that's because he thought my friend was an idiot. An old friend of mine had quite a few guy friends; they joked around and were total perverts (in a good way) and she'd sit on their laps and stuff like that but that's the way she had always been with these guys so her hubby couldn't complain since he knew that when they started dating. He has no problem with his wife's guy friends or the way they joke around with each other especially since he's the same way with his female friends.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 2:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My spouse and I both have friends of all genders...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think it's fine. I have an equal number of guy friends as I do girl friends so I wouldn't want to cut half my friends our of my life. There is one friend though that I've always had feelings for and things have happened in the past so that would be the only issue. He's one of my best friends though and couldn't give him up but I probably wouldn't hang out alone with him if i was in a relationship. I know he's respectful but there always is that what if.
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 10:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010