SIDS

In December 3 months before I had my LO my SO cousins baby passed away and I felt so bad for her I had never seen the baby or anything so I wasn't really close to them but still for anyone to lose a child is awful. I was already worried about my baby which seems to be all I have done since I got prego and this made me worry more. I wouldn't sleep unless someone was up with her the first 6 weeks then I got a movement monitor to make sure if she stopped breathing I would know. Another thing is a few hours after she was born she choked on the amniotic fluid and stopped breathing. Am I worrying too much or is that something that all new moms deal with??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've had 2 baies and you never stop worrying about SIDS. THey sleep so quietly and so still. I read that you can reduce it by 75% I believe if you use a fan in the baby's room. It causes air to circulate and helps them to not breathe in their own expelled air, causing SIDS. Keep baby in like a onezie only while sleeping. You can get long-sleeved ones too and add pants in winter. No blanket at all. Pacifiers also reduce SIDS while sleeping. Because if they stop breathing for a second, their senses waken back up to start sucking again. Don't put anything in the crib but the baby. They really don't need a bumper, you can see them better that way too. If you use one of the baby slings, make sure baby isn't face down in there and that you check on her/him often.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• All new mommies worry. You just have to accept that you are doing a good job and that your child is safe
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Totally normal feelings and you having a relative go thru such an awful loss just compounds it. My little ones are almost 2 and I still check on them a lot. You are not alone. That monitor you have should give you a bit more peace of mind and it gets better with time :) Hang in there momma!!!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i went through that with both my kids, i was always worried. i read that it normally happens between 2 and 4 months when the baby starts sleeping through the night, but studies are starting to show that most babies that have been lost to SIDS are around someone who smokes, were premature, mom had gestational diabetes, stuff like that. so try not to worry too much about it. she is old enough now that the amniotic fluid is all cleared up, she'll be fine! hang in there.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think it's normal but she's probably low risk... girls die from SIDS less than boys, babies in non smoking households die of it less often, breastfed babies die of it less often, low birth weight babies are higher risk, babies born in the winter or fall are higher risk....

Here's a site that talks about some of the risk factors: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sudden-infant-death-syndrome/DS00145/DSECTION=risk-factors
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• that's the site i got my info off of! (mayoclinic.com)
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It's why I co=sleep and one reason I breastfeed. I could never sleep separated from my baby, that young I'd be a wreck. My baby at 3 months slept 7 hours at 3 months during a growth spurt and I woke every 30 - 60 minutes.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2010