why don't hospitals let you drink water but you can have ice chips?

this seems strange and inconsistent to me because ice is water and a dehydrated woman is not going to push well. why would they let you have frozen water but not a glass of water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's another dumb hospital rule. They keep you NPO in case you have to go to surgery. You're not getting as much liquid from ice as you would gulping water.

I <3 my midwife! I can eat and drink the whole time!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Because ice chips are not a lot of water. Its basically to hydrate your mouth. Take some chap stick too to the hospital. Trust me, you'll kill somebody for it! They don't let you have water because if you have to have an emergency C-Section and they have to put you under general anesthesia, it could make you throw up while under and that can kill you. They'll ask you right away when you get to the hospital what you've eaten and when.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I was allowed to drink as much water as I wanted, and I drank a lot... and I ended up having a c-section and seem to cause a problem with the surgery which is why I think some hospitals tell you you can't have water...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I had to have an unplanned c/s with my last baby and I did throw up while they were stitching me up - it was not a pleasant experience. Though I am pretty sure I only puked up the crap they made me drink to lower the acid in my stomach because I had been eating and drinking normally during the day.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't know... I've had two kids in a hospital and was never stopped from eating or drinking... They did ask that once I reached 8cm I didn't eat anything more because of the risk of vomiting and chocking while you are trying to push, but other than that they never stopped me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• they gave me juice and water and soup and jello when i was in labor
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 12:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• not sure, but it always made me mad as hell! lol I wish I could have had some juice because I was STARVING! My first was induced (so I couldn't eat at least 8 hours before) and then I had 10 hours of labor, just to end up with an emergency c section. It wasn't until the NEXT DAY that I could eat.......talk about MAD, HUNGRY AND HORMONAL!!!!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Ridiculous, really.
    It fits nicely into that downward spiral into the Cascade of Interventions.
    An exhausted-undernourished-dehydrated-hypoglycemic Mother is more likely to need the next intervention...

It's so nice that those women who hire better care providers get the better deal!
    :-)

Not only was I encouraged to eat-drink whatever I liked, my midwives would go pick up whatever take-out was accessible.
    ...Bummer if I threw it up, but that is dilation for you.

;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I had water juice and jello all the way up till pushing. I wasn't gonna just suck on ice for 22hours.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• yea i know i think its dumb,but i had to much so i throw up
    lilmamalovesdru

Answer by lilmamalovesdru at 7:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2010