When did you transfer your infant to a toddler bed?

Me and my husband are not sure when our infant should go into a toddler bed. Is there a certain age, weight limit, height? Or is it just when you think they are ready? He is going to be one next month and is already off the bottle and only using sippy cup and goes wo his binki all day he only has it at bed time.

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we bought one for my daughter when she was like 18months-20months... she still had a bottle but could sleep thru the whole night
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• we switched when DD climbed out of her crib and almost snapped her ankle because she had her leg in the rail. She was a little over the age of 2.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 2:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• we switched as soon as my dd was able to climb out, we didn't want any bad accidents. you can always get the side rails which keep small children from falling off the bed.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son was one when we got it, but he didn't really use it until baby brother was born. He was 1 year 9 months. And he had just weaned from breastfeeding, so he was only using a tippy too. He had been weaned from his binki for a few months already. Theres no height or weight, just when he and you are ready. Obviously if they don't know how to climb down yet, probably not a good idea as they can fall off. But its only like five inches so they are quick to learn.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 2:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We transferred our daughter to a toddler bed when she was about a year and a half. I really didn't have a specific reason for doing it. I just felt like she was ready. She really likes the fact that she can get in and out of bed on her own during the day while she is playing. I also like it because now I can sit on the edge of her bed and read her bedtime stories or be with her until she falls asleep. I haven't had any trouble with her getting out of bed at night or during naps. She has fallen out a couple of times during the night but it hasn't been too traumatic and I usually put a couple of pillows down on the floor to cushion a fall. Have fun!
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 2:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• As soon as my dd climbed out of her crib. she was a year old when she did that. My son was in a crib until he was 2 but he never jumped and he did not like the big boy bed.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 3:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My dd moved to her tot bed at 12 months. The crib she had was my sisters and she was due to have her son soon. we decided to buy brooke the tinkerbell toddler bed. :) Love it and so does so adorable and has a canopy. its only about 4 inches off the ground and has railings on both sides. they have many different characters for beds like this.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Id say when they are ready. I usuaily switch mine into todler beds when they have walking down pat and I'm not concerned they will hurt themselves around the room at night (falling out of the bed, climbing stuff etc.) for me thats about 1year and a half-2 years, but I think a lot of people do it sooner than me. When your feel he's ready, give it a trial run, you can alway put the crib back up. Good Luck! :)
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 3:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• my oldest went in when she was almost 2....she actually let us know....for some reason the toddler bed caught her eye and we bought her one, she was happy and loved being a big girl. I'd show your son/daughter a few maybe take him/her to toys r us where they have them out and see if any of them catch his/ her eye. I wouldn't recomment it if your infant is not yet walking and can't get off the bed by himself/herself.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• my dd was about 10 months old. the reason we moved her so early was she is claustrophobic and when we moved the crib to the lowest setting it didn't matter how long she had been asleep in my bed or the couch or anywhere she would wake up and scream. my ds i think he was 1 when we moved him
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 6:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2010