hired attorney for divorc but only see a paralegal & she's taking forever on my case.

how should i handle this. thats not what i paid for & i need to be divorced before i deploy in jan. i've hired lawyers before & i worked w the actual lawyer & she told her paralegal what to do not the other way around.

mrsary

Asked by mrsary at 3:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Call and speak with them about it. Paralegals are like the nurses of the legal world. They do most of the leg work, the attorney just puts his seal of approval on it. She may have a huge case load as it is. In the end its your money and if you don't feel as though its being handled properly, go else where.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You should be checking in occasionally with the attorney, but it is common practice for the paralegal to be doing the 'leg work' as it were, and the copying of papers and doing the mailing, etc. It's your money, remember, be up front and ask for an appointment to speak directly with your attorney...good luck!
    galkimba911

Answer by galkimba911 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Ask why it is taking so long. You should be charged less if paralegal does most of the work. She doesn't tell lawyer what to do, but does the "grunt work" for the lawyer
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• This is how life is now. The paralegal isn't being slow. She has to wait for the attorney to ok what she does so the attorney is the slow boat. Call and tell them it needs to be done before you deploy. If you can't get through to the attorney then write a certified letter specifying your concerns. The attorney will read it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Wow, I guess tell him you want another attorney that can dedicate more time to your case. I am lucky I like my attorney a lot and he's very involved and answers and explains all my silly little questions as needed.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010