What is the best way to housetrain or potty train an adult dog? or two...

I have 2 adult (ages 3 & 4) dogs that we are in the process of trying to house train and I'm need some advice/suggestions on the best way(s) to do it and things that might help the process along.. I have a 4yr old mini doxie (wiener dog) and a 3yr old heeler/whippet mix. I think the whippet mix will get it faster than the doxie bc she's a SMART dog and she catches on fast but the doxie is STUBBORN and it's hard to get things like this through to her..

Suggestions? Advice?? Please be nice, I know I should've trained them earlier but I was lazy and am now regretting that choice.

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 3:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pets

• whenever they go in the house you put their nose close to it for a few seconds and firmly tell them "NO" and then take the poop outside and show them that's where they poop. for pee you just put their nose to it and tell them "no" they will learn. also reward them and tell them what good dogs they are when they go outside
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Catch them in action, the hour after doggy breakfast keep an eye for sniffing around for a good peepee place, when you see this take them outside immediately. Give praise and treats when they go outside, choose one word they can lear to recognize like "go potty" This is how you can begin to teach them to pee on command, like when you go on trips and stop for a potty break. If you miss the sniff alert and catch them in the act, give em a good whif of their buisness with a FIRM NO!, and put them outside. keeping consistant is a big key, the more you stay on the ball the better results you will see.
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 4:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I even had a foot gesture of where I'd like them to go allong with go potty (pointing toe and verbal"go potty") When I first trained this I had treats ready, and right after they finished peeing etc. I did this, until they made the connection, and I could say it and they would follow the lead. Do up the rewards like potty training your kids, attention, Rubs, treats, Good Dog! etc. allong with the firm NO! When its in the house.. It takes paitence & stamina for sure! lol
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 4:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I am my dog's third owner. The other two gave up because they said she couldn't be trained. I talked to the other owners and while they both tried different techniques, neither one tried crate training. I crate trained my other dods, so I did the same thing with her as I did my other dogs. I crate trained her. She is now house trained.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Crate training is the best and fastest way to house break a dog
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Can someone please explain EXACTLY HOW to "crate train" a dog? I've heard this a lot but I just don't know the specifics.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010