Spanking: Abuse, or when put to good use?

ChristianMamaO3

Asked by ChristianMamaO3 at 4:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I honestly believe that when a child that knows yes or no around 2-4 should get a spanking it is not abuse... a smack on the hand for a 2 year old, or maybe a soft hand slap on a one yr old or or almost two,

ABUSE is biting .....burning a child, sexual abuse, etc etc etc.

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Either sending your child the message that hitting solves problems fits with your world view, or it does not.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I posted this mainly out of curiosity of others openions and for conversational purposes, I already know how I believe on the subject.
    ChristianMamaO3

Comment by ChristianMamaO3 (original poster) at 5:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'm a spare not the rod mama, but always in love never in anger. I don't want to teach My children to act in physical anger when they are upset or offended. If they need corection and are not responding to verbal directon, I calmly take them aside, explain the importance of folowing the direction they understood but disobeyed, and let them know I now have to give them a spanking. Folowed by them making right what was done wrong, (an apology, etc.) I am very consistant, and my children know what is expected of them, we have fun and give rewards more than spankings. If for some reason I am too upset to speak calmly but firm, I choose removing them from the situation, & when we have both cooled, dealing with it then. I don't beat them by any means, just enough to get their attention. I find it more disturbing to see the women screaming and cursing at their unruly kids that have never been taught to respect their parents or limits
    ChristianMamaO3

Comment by ChristianMamaO3 (original poster) at 5:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Normal spanking I wouldn't call abuse, but there is a fine line there that can be crossed to become so. In my opinion there are better ways to dicipline, I do not beleive in spanking.

Answer by older at 8:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There is no such thing as spanking in love. If you love someone you don't hit them, period.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Sure there is rhonda. :) Maybe you haven't seen it or experienced it, but its done more calmly than any other form of correction. When applied in the loving manner, much less correcting is needed leaving more time to enjoy your children and their wonderful behavior and less time enduring their lack of self control. We can have a sit down dinner in a nice restaurant with no distractions and a 1,3&4 year old saying please and thank-you, praying for their own food content because they understand what is expected of them, and are pleased to be good children. I have never seen such results with other forms. But it must be done with love, not anger.
    ChristianMamaO3

Comment by ChristianMamaO3 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If they deserve it then yes!! but just to hit them is abuse!!
    karaa3

Answer by karaa3 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2010