HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

my son is 6 months old and has his 3rd bottom tooth coming in and for the past 2 days he has been screaming and crying non stop on and off all day i have tried baby orajel infant tylenol teething tablets rocking him holding him and he still wont stop! im losing my mind! i know he is not sick because he doesnt have a fever or cough or stuffy nose or nothing. i dont know what to do to calm him down im at my wits end he wakes up crying on and off all night im runnin on empty here does anybody have any ideas what i can do!!! please help meeee! lol.

AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Asked by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 at 4:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok... he is squirming and starts crying, sounds like he is having terrible gas pains. he may not be farting or burping thats the problem. My 2 younger ones did this. The older one would scream uncontorllably like that, i could not sooth her at all. Found she was in pain from dairy in her diet. She was breastfed. So I had to cut out ALL DAIRY AND SOY that was hard but worked. If your baby is 6 mos, did he recently try a new food yesterday at all? Is it possible he put something in his mouth? A coin, rock, thum tack? Did he get into something? I am just trying to through things out there. He sounds like he is in pain. If it does not stop in the next hour I would call your provider, or if you have insurance they normally have a nurse advice line, or try your hospital for the nurse line. I hope you both get reliefe soon. HUGS TO YOU BOTH
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 5:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Does he have diareha at all? What are his diapers like? Is his tummy hard? Try a bath. When mine screamed like that (allergic colitis) I would put them in a bath, also if you have a clean wash rag, or baby wash cloth soak a corner in ice cold water, or warm water let him chew, naw or suck on it.
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 5:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• he doesnt have diareha and his diapers all normal and his tummy i dont know about that it feels like it usually does. and i gave him his frozen teething ring and he still crys. he has tons of chew toys and rattles he just throws em down.. and i gave him a bath and he was good for like 30 mins and then the crying started he gets super red in the face and squirms alot!!
    AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2

Comment by AlaSkAnMoMmYoF2 (original poster) at 5:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I know the feeling! unfortunately id have to say sometime its just how it is. When you want to reach for the duct tape or preferably before this, put the baby in its crib, and do something relaxing in the other room. Funny enough I get ear plugs, you can still hear them but it takes the edge off. Another thing I do Is try to smile while you still can, there is a chemical thing that goes on with your emotions conected to your facial expression. Its helps me stay calm longer. And If you pray, pray that works the best, Pray for strength and mercy, and whatever else, He listens, especially in the most trying of times. If all else fails, try to remember what the baby is feeling right now, dental pain is some of THE Worst pain I have ever felt, sometime pitty gets me through. Us mama's got a tough job, just remember even the best moms loose their cool some times, just try to be away from the baby before you loose it. Then regain it.
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 5:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• P.s. none of the normal things worked on any on my 3 girls either, and I know it was just teething pain, but there was just nothing more I could do, but snuggle them and try to keep my cool. oh yeah I let them chew on my finger and when they did I put light pressure on the gums to help quicken the process if possible. Best of luck!
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 5:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Ahh I remember those days. Have you tried a washcloth? What worked for me was these homeopathic teething tablets made by Hyland that dissolve, give them a try. Since different things work for different babies you are just going to have to experiment with different things that work for you, and I do believe (not sure because of the age so PLEASE contact your pediatricians office before trying this if you choose) that you can alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours. By that I mean for example when he wakes up at 7 am give him Tylenol, then at 10am give him Motrin etc....

Also, I was told NOT to use Orajel on my baby because it numbs their mouth and interferes with the gag reflex which has contributed to babies choking. There is also a specuatlion (so far unfounded) that it causes breathing difficulties. Just a little something to keep in mind, your baby may not be putting everything in his mouth. Best of luck!
    amberjade11

Answer by amberjade11 at 5:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Colicky/gasy might just be it. Is he a spitter upper? (after every meal or about that much) you could try tummy massage or put him on his tummy on yourr knee and rub the lower back and sides. I Fart my babies, lol, put them on their back and take the legs slowly rocking the bottom side to side to loosen the gas then press the knees into the tummy one at a time until they toot, it takes a few repititions some times but it works if thats it.
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 5:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Have you tried gripe water. You can find it in any drugstore, usually in the baby isle. I think it seems to take the edge off when you know they are upset but cant tell you why.

It will get better, hang in there, you are not alone!
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 8:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Don't medicate with tylenol or motrin. honestly, it will give 30 minutes of relief at best and you can easily over medicate and also make them less effective. no oragel, it can make it worse. plus it can burn and numbs everything but where the ache is. put some in your mouth to see why.

Activity, time, patience, sitting upright, nursing, cold teethers or fruit and affection are the best remedies. And put your baby in a sling and get out of the house. It will do you both good. stress feeds stress and makes the pain worse.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would alternate motrin and tylenol.. since baths work i'd give as many as you can throughout the day since it does make him feel better.. and just have patience. Put him in the crib and step outside for five minutes or so to cool off if you feel your at your wits end :) It won't be like this for long so just take it one day at time.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010