Any unschooling or RU mommas out there?

Looking for unschooling moms for some advice. Just started unschooling and I might be a little lost. Help!

rosekng

Asked by rosekng at 5:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• what is unschooling???
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 5:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'm wondering to.. we do Home schooling
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 5:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I have taken my kids out of the local school district and county Office of Ed since May however they actually want to go back to school and I don't know what to do. I can't send them back to this middle school and I have no other public school in our area. I will have to go to the next county over and that is oover 45 minutes away and I don't drive so I'm kinda stuck. I want to move but we really can't afford it and I can't rent out my house because currently their are at least 2 active drug houses on my block and our street is always on the local paper of the small town that we live in.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Thats a bummer, how old are your kids, could you handle homeschooling for now? Your the boss you decide whats best for them, they can put in their two cents, but you still got a buck fifty on em mama.
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 6:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There is a group on CM for unschoolers you might think of joining. Cafemom Unschooling.  Also the happy homeschoolers group here on CM has a lot of unschoolers too.  Happy Homeschoolers

I've done some homeschooling in the past, but I prefer some of the structure of home school.  Unschooling can be really great with the right approach but I think a lot depends on the kids personalities and the creativity of the parents. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• What exactly is unschooling?
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 6:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Unschooling is unstructured homeschooling. You do things that the kids have an interest in. If they have an interest in fixing things you rebuild a car. If they like nature you go outside and study nature. You don't sit around the kitchen table with workbooks.

Personally I like an approach that includes both types of home school. Some kids would do great with unschooling because they have a big talentor interest in something, but my kids are middle of the road and need more structure, and so do I.  Some kids really do great with unschooling though.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'd LOVE to do this BUT we have an only child, we live out in the "middle of nowhere" so we send her to a private Christian school. I am a former teacher too. Only thing is I think I wouldn't have the patience with my own child as much as I did with 30 other people's children! I'd probably expect neat-perfection out of her since I KNOW what she is capable of!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• plc, that's an ADVANTAGE of homeschooling. If I were a PS teacher I'd be wary of asking a kid to do more than they might be capable of, and discouraging them if they couldn't measure up. but as a HS mom I know exactly what my son is capable of, and I prefer he be held to it rather than to be allowed to get by with doing less.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'm an RU mom. What do you need help with? Also a great place to go for help is the Radical Unschoolers Network.
    Woman

Answer by Woman at 7:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010