Does your special needs child wear a Medic Alert bracelet?

CCHSMOM

Asked by CCHSMOM at 6:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Oh my gosh!! I'm ALWAYS buying them for my son!! We've tried sports bands, metal ones, shoe tags... And he's always losing them. He figures out how to get them off no matter what I do... Last week he was lost on the school bus! It was one of the worst nightmares of my life!!! We didn't know if he was on the wrong bus, had been picked up by a stranger, or was wandering around downtown away from his school lost! Luckily they found him, but I can't tell you how much I have beaten myself up for not making sure he had his tags on him!!! My son is 8yrs old, has a medical implant and is non-verbal... The thought of him being out there, lost, with no way to get help or any safety awareness about things like traffic... I will never forget it. He is now wearing detailed dog tags on his shoe, backpack and around his neck!! I bought 6 replacement sets, so I always will have a back up when one gets lost!!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• While I do not have a special needs child, I certainly believe that every person with medical concerns should wear one. I do.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We have thought about getting our son one. I do not think he'd leave it on.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We have one, but I'm not that great about making sure she's wearing it all the time.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Our children have autism, and they do not have any medical issues associated with it, nor do they have food or medicine allergies, so no.

BUT, when my now 6 year old was a young toddler, he managed to "escape" from our home a few times (courtesy of my older son, now 8, unlocking the front door and baby gate, while I was in another part of the house--making beds, vacuuming, laundry, etc.--so I would have loved having one of those electronic alert systems attached to his clothing, that they have now--there's nothing that generates more panic in a mom than not being able to locate their toddler immediately!!!

But now that they're older, I don't worry about escape issues anymore--they know their boundaries now!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son used to wear one for Asthma. His asthma has gotten better though as he has gotten older, so he does not need it anymore.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I need to get one for my 2 year old. She has a peanut allergy and several other food allergies. Does anyone know a good place to get one? I don't plan to get one for my other child who is (probably) mildly autistic.
    Let me also add that the elderly should wear those first response-type bracelets. My Grandma just had a fall and worked just like it was supposed to. I hate to think about how long she might have been on the floor without it. If you have elderly relatives who live alone, look into it!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 8:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yes, my son has a bracelet and when he was younger he one that attached to his shoes. They make a great variety of styles now, which is really nice, especially if you have a child with sensory issues, as mine does.

For those who have children with autism, how are they with strangers? Friends of mine have bracelets or shoe tags for their children with autism because they know that, even though their children are higher functioning, if they would be in an accident or be separated/lost for some reason, they're not going to respond to strangers well, if at all. Their bracelets simply say that the child has autism or the child is nonverbal, etc.

Hazelnutkin: What type do you want, shoe, bracelet or necklace? I have links to the different styles. PM me and we can chat about it.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son has a necklace. I think they are very important and think it's careless to allow your child to not wear one if they have a medical condition.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010