• In the Spotlight:

How/when do kids get chicken pox?

I have 1 toddler. No siblings. No school. No daycare. When is a "good" time to get chicken pox? I know it can be scary if the the child is too old or too young. I think my LO may be getting to that safe age. This sounds off but how do I get her chicken pox? I've always understood that it was spread among same age children through school and siblings. I don't think many people would knowingly take their contagious child to a regular public playground so those are out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My mom used to volunteer to babysit children with the chicken pox so that we would get it before we were school age. We believe my one step son was exposed when he was at a soccer tournament. He then gave it to his brother.

Are you opposed to the vaccine?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• it might be harder to find children with chicken pox as many are getting the vaccine
    layh41407

• As a child under 3, I would not expose your child yet. Complications of chicken pox at a young age can result in death. This is why they don't give the vaccine until 1 year. However, if your child doesn't need to be exposed to it meaning accidentally I would expose them to it.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 7:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just wait, as soon as she starts school she will probably catch them, no need to rush it.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Mine caught it when they were at school around age 10 and it was rough on all of us - especially my husband. He had never had it before and got VERY sick with it. If your toddler hasn't caught it by the time she is ready for school then get her vaccinated against it. A day or so of a sore arm is WAY better than weeks sick which is what happened with us.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 8:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My older girls have never gotten the chicken pox. They are now 16 & 10. They got the vaccine when they were younger and then a booster shot, several years later.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 8:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• if you are opposed to the vaccine I have heard of moms having playdates so the infected one can infect the non-infected one. It seems weird but rarely will a kid have chicken pox since there is a vaccine so you are going to have to find another/few moms who didn't vax or just get the shot. I would honestly say get the shot if you son't find anyone to spread to your LO before she is 8 because the older they are, more lethal it becomes.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There is no right age to get chicken pox and not all kids get them. I do NOT recommend doing it on purpose. Chicken pox can have many complications. My cousin almost died from having the chicken pox. My aunt almost lost her baby because she got them while pregnant. I recommend the vaccine, why put your child and everyone else you come into contact at risk? A person can be a carrier of chicken pox and spread it without knowing it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My daughter was in fourth grade; it was not a big deal (lots of calamine lotion and oatmeal baths).

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2010