Do u think a 1st birthday party is really neccessary

I have always thrown my kids a birthday party,, but now I am thinking is it really neccasary, My husband will be out of down on our youngest birthday, so I was thinking of just decorating and having something with me and the kids and maybe a couple of the neighbors, not a huge blowout like I normally do

tishmomof2

Asked by tishmomof2 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are describing a party, so yes! It doesn't have to be an extravaganza with elephants & ponies at 1 (or 2 or 3 or....) but a simple celebration with love & joy is STILL a party. If only for the pics of them diving into their first cake, LOL! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just do what works for you. It won't matter to the baby, but take lots of pics no matter what!
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• you and the kids sound great...i've never done huge blowouts..just family.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Not to the extent that some people think, but I can't imagine not having some kind of "party" for my child's 1st birthday, even if small.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 9:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think a small celebration is great. Having a big huge party for a one year old that will not even remember it is more for the parents than anything..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• its more for the parents I think. Although I do enjoy watching my kids faces as they open their presents and eat cake for the first time.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think it's necessary. But I loved planning and throwing my DS's 1st birthday party. It was more for me, I know, but he had a blast too! We did it on the weekend before his birthday because I wanted my family and DH's family to be able to come.
    If having a party is important to YOU then you should throw a party. It doesn't have to be on the actual day - you can do it any day that suits all of your schedules!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I consider that a party, and I think it's a great idea for a first birthday. Although I would have the party while my husband when my husband could be there; the 1-year-old doesn't care when it is. We had small parties for both of our kids until around 4 when they wanted to start inviting friends.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The kids don't really know..the parents do. & as long as you do a little something it will be okay! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No, since the baby is so young, they don't even remember it, most of the time they get overwhelmed by all the people, over tired, etc.
    Until my kids are old enough and have actual friends to invite, it's just little "parties" of us and my homemade cake, a few presents. Even when they get in school, I doubt I will ever like invite the whole class to a party, just their best friends.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2010