Family Christmas Party Ideas

Hi there! I am in charge of our family Christmas party this year, and I want to come up with some neat ideas that will make everything new and fun.

One of my friends gave me the idea to tie-dye t-shirts for all of the kids, and I think that would be amazing!

We have 12 kids (10 & under), 12 cousins (from 11 yrs to early 20's), and 8 adults (the aunts and grandparents) coming... so 32 people total.

Does anyone else have some cheap but neat ideas for me? I know that July is a little early to begin planning, but I have a lot to do and I want to get most of it done ahead of time so that the Christmas party budget doesn't eat into my children's Christmas present budget. ;-)

sarah_smile

Asked by sarah_smile at 9:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• You could make friendship Bracelets maybe make molds of there hands Goodluck!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 9:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Those are some good ideas... thanks! :-)
    sarah_smile

Comment by sarah_smile (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Here's what we came up with so far...

-Siamese gift wrapping (one hand-ed team gift wrapping contest)

-Left/right passing story (Kids sit in a circle, all with wrapped gifts in hand. Reader tells a story, and every time they hear "left" or "right" they have to pass the gift they have in that direction.... Ex: "The Right Family was getting ready for Christmas. Sally Right, Sammy Right, and Mr. and Mrs. Right had a big party to go right to. They left the house right after 10am that morning...")

-Adult Dice Stealing Game (All adults sit around a table, with pile of gifts in the middle, and take turns rolling two dice. If they roll a 2 or a 5 (for 25th of Dec), they get to pick or steal a gift. If they roll doubles, they are safe from stealing, but can still steal themselves.)

-Snowman, Snowman, Reindeer! (Think in terms of "Duck, Duck, Goose!")

-Homemade Christmas Pinata

-Reindeer antlers for all of the kids
    sarah_smile

Comment by sarah_smile (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• -The Mitten Munch Relay (kids run to a table, put on mittens, then they have to unwrap a piece of candy and eat it, before taking the mittens off and tagging the next player)

-Going to Gramma's House (a clothing relay, where kids have to put on a variety of over-sized clothes and then run over to Gramma for a hug or treat)
    sarah_smile

Comment by sarah_smile (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We have a big family on my husband's side, and every year we play the present stealing game. It is so much fun! Everyone brings a gift ($20 - $25 range), and we set them by the tree. We then draw numbers. If you draw #1, then you pick the first present to unwrap. #2 can then either steal #1's gift or go under the tree and pick a new gift. This keeps going until all presents are opened. You really want to be the last number because you get to see everything opened except the last gift under the tree. A present can only be stolen 3 times, and then it is retired. We seperate the 16 year olds and up from the kids and make sure to put the more kiddie gifts in the younger one's gift pile. It is so much fun! We usually end up trading with each other after it is all over, too!
    Jakesmom623

Answer by Jakesmom623 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Jakesmom, that does sound like a lot of fun! I've played that game before, but I don't remember retiring the gifts... that part is a good idea too! :-)
    sarah_smile

Comment by sarah_smile (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Love all your game ideas! We have had our christmas party where we have a soup party and serve chili, cheese and broccoli soup and chicken and noodle soup...you could do any soups but it was so easy to just have big pots of soup, bread, crackers and cheese. It was easy and lots of fun.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I didn't read all of the answers so forgive me if I repeat some of the ideas.

I like the idea of traditional activities. Make ornaments, string popcorn and candy to make garland for the tree, bake & decorate cookies, build a snowman, go ice skating, watch Christmas movies while you eat the cookies and drink hot cocoa.

Most dollar stores will have Christmas crafts (as well as Michael's and JoAnn's) that you can get like 6 or 7 in a pack for a dollar.

If you're at all religious you could have the children put on a Christmas pageant or replay the Nativity. If not, maybe you could do the story of Rudolph or Twas the Night Before Christmas.

EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2010