do you give your 1 yr old peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread cut into squares? my dr said i could, but i am uncertain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did, and had no problems.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If they could chew well enough and were not allergic to peanuts I would.
    I did give my kids peanutbutter crackers when they were one, We don't use a lot of bread so it wasn't ever in the house. I didnt use a lot of peanutbutter though just a thin layer on the crackers.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I dont see why not they are out of the danger zone age wise...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I did too, but i just put a very THIN layer of peanut butter on the bread...so they wouldn't choke on it. I know they say you're supposed to wait until they are at least 2 so as to avoid a peanut allergy, but if your pediatrician thinks it;s okay, then I would trust their opinions/advice.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't see why not, only you know your DD and if she chews well enough and you feel she's mature enough then you're all set.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I haven't yet given my youngest son peanut butter, but I know i gave my older son peanut butter when he was about 18 months old. However, that was 10 years ago. Back then it was recommended ot be careful due to a choking hazard with the peanut butter. I believe some doctors are changing the recommendation now. I hear so many different things.
    I have heard some doctors say that you should not expose your children to nuts until age 4 because of food allergies, but I have alsoheard that we should expose them at 1 or so in order limit allergies. I guess it depends on which camp of thought you believe in.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I give my Son a dollop of peanut butter on a spoon. He eats it like a lolly pop & holds his interest and bread/toast on the side. Like any other questionable food, give a little of it for 3 days & see if there are allergy symptoms within that time.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I give my 22 month old peanutbutter & jelly , why not? If you have any reason to think they are allergic then that would be the only reason not to.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Whole wheat is the only bread we eat... Hotdog,hamburger buns ,pita, etc we love it.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Sure do! Pb and J...she loves them. The squares make it easier for her to hold. She can eat almost entire sandwhich! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010