Have you ever done a pinata for a childs birthday? Any tips or suggestions for this to go well?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Kids need to stand back and do it outside for sure!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Go with the pull string ones. So much easier and safer with the clumsy kids! Then, you just give a string to each child, count to 3, and tell them to pull as hard as they can.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If you've got a tree in your yard/nearby then tie it to a branch of that. Before you start explain very carefully to all the children that they are to hit the pinata and only the pinata and to stop when they are told. I have had problems with DD's friends before as they just keep hitting and don't listen to the adult. I hope if you decide to use a pinata then you have lots of fun! Just remember to enjoy yourself too.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Make sure it's not close to cars & windows! Stand back, some kids really go wild,lol & have fun, I've done a few they love it when the candy falls out.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Do it outside. Put a tarp or blanket underneath. If you'll have kids of different ages, have little ones just try to hit it, no blindfold, no moving the piñata, slightly older ones blindfolded, but no moving it, older kids blindfolded with the piñata moving around a bit. Use hard-textured candies in wrappers as filler—chocolates melt in summer, soft candies sometimes get damaged. You can also put party favors inside, but nothing really light or fragile.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yes, we had a pinata once when my son turned 5. It was so much fun, the kids really loved it. And we did it inside the house,lol. It was a cold rainy day. I used a pulley (bought from home depot). Attached it to the ceiling and I was able to pull the pinata up and down and it also will stop and hold it in place.
    I gave all the kids a bag and told them they couldnt touch any candy until the entire pinata was broke. It went pretty well.
    My only advice would be to tell the older kids to make sure theyounger ones get some candy too because the older ones can move like the speed of light to get the candy and the littler ones are left standing there with an empty bag in thier hands crying,lol.
    Have fun!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I hate them.  They do them at our block parties and all the pushy, greedy kids just shove all the little ones out of the way and take ALL the candy.  Last year my then 3yo got 1 piece of candy from it--a stepped on, broken sucker.  My son got about 8 pieces of gum and shared with his friend and siblings because the girls each got 1 piece.  They were 6, 7 and 9 and cried because they were shoved out of the way by the older, bigger kids who just took it all, including stuff they had in their hands. 

And their parents were all egging them on.  It was awful.  No one under 7 got anything unless their parents were there and most of that was picked up from the outskirts and was stepped on.  I said this year I'm just buying a huge bag of suckers to pass out to all the little ones that don't get any candy.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If its half broken..dont let your husband go running towards it with plastic grocery bags to put on it to close it up again...you will never break through them plastic bags like that.

If your sis inlaw insists on being right there with a child to pick up candy, let her know the child can do it themselves, the sis inlaw does need to grow up sometime.

If your sis inlaw has a real big mouth, maybe she needs to stay in the house rather then screaming out who's turn it is now.

helpful enough?

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010