Do woman that think "this will never happen to me" really believe that, or are they just saying it?

I mean I can understand that you think things are perfect and that nothing could ruin the relationship you and your SO have, but do you really think NOTHING is ever going to happen to break it up. I know it is silly to think about 24/7 and I am not saying that I do but I take into consideration some things and never tell myself that this situation will never happen to me because I have no idea. I try to make things that make me uncomfortable a discussion that I talk to my SO about and then we get stronger as a couple but again I can not say that NOTHING will ever happen to break us apart because I have no idea. I do not worry or stress out about things but I do have a clear head that I know at any moment life can change, people change...nothing is permanent not even love. I just live my life knowing that right now we love each other and we take each problem as they come at us. Is this how other people see it and live?

Savymom25

Asked by Savymom25 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Well statistics show that at least half of them are wrong and possibly more since 50% of marriages end in divorce and the rates go up for second and third marriages. Let's not forget all the relationships that are not marriages that end. I'm not bashing, just saying that sometimes youthfulness can include being naive or maybe it is just their wishful thinking.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think you have a very mature attitude towards it and I wish I could be just as mature as you! I personally find that if I try to think of me and my husband possibly splitting or losing the love between us I just can't imagine it and quickly shut my brain off.

However I think you need to be cautious, there is no need to be so pessimistic about your relationship! Be optimistic and yes whatever happens will happen but there is no need to worry so much! May God bless you with many more years of love between you.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I never worry about what could happen I would go nuts I always keep in mind anything is possible and hope for the best :) I always look on the bright side :)
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 9:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I am learning to see things that way and I am doing much better these days. :) when I first met my bf though I thought that at any moment he would just get tired of me and leave me (due to the fact that my ex's were that way - but that is the difference between a boy and a man). Now I just hope that we will stay strong in our love and relationship and that we can and will work through things. But I do realize that something COULD happen. I never take for granted that he and I will always be together.

I make sure I take the time to remind him how much I love him and appreciate him and he does the same for me, I think that matters a ton.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think the longer you are in a situation or relationship, the more secure you become. It almost becomes second nature. We cannot avoid some tragic events that may occur in our lives but we if we obsess on the future possibility of these events, then we miss out on enjoying the moments that we have. Once time has passed, you can never get it back and I think you really realize this as you become older. So I try to "take time & smell the flowers" and I have realized that ignorance is bliss too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• nope, do not think that
    i know it can happen, it is happening to me
    I know at any moment life can change, people change=nothing could be more true
    just when you get comfortable, life throws you a curve ball
    like just when you have all chores done for the day, sit down to put your feet up=the phone rings, or the doorbell, or you hear some kids getting in trouble in the next room etc...it is always something-at least in my life recenlty
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Never say never , we live we learn , life happens, you can't choose your fate.I think just doing the best you can each day is all we can do.Carma has a way of what comes around goes around & being ignorant to life's mishaps isn't going to change anything from happening or not. Prayer is good & god is great but thats not a sure thing to keep away whats gonna happen is gonna happen.'Just my thought of the moment~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think it is a coping mechanism because they can't imagine life different. I imagine things happening in my relationship all the time. Do I think it will happen...no. Do I realize that it might...of course. I am not pessimistic, just honest. It doesn't bother me to think about different situations and how I would handle them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• yes, we do discuss things that "bother" us in life in hopes that it would never happen. I however live my life knowing that shit happens..so i'm prepared.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I never say never but sh*& happens and I am a solid and strong person by myself so if some people say never its not my place to point it out. I just move on with my life every day after fighting cancer with my 16 year old who was two at the time gaining and losing a ton of weight. fighting with my mom to have her stop calling CPS, getting dumped for being pregnant having a relationship for 9 years with no sex. Anything is possible. Now running Iron man having my own business and graduating from college the relationship is important but not important enough for me to think what if.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2010