How to approach her mom?

I kept a friends DD overnight. She is a pretty good friend I have known for quite some time-but in her eyes her child truly can do no wrong. Well, last night they were playing outside and she decided she wanted to "pretend kiss" my DD...with tongue?!? Is this normal for a 6YO? My DD is 5 and never done anything like this. We caught her before she was able to do anything but its still very strange behavior in my opinion...even to think it.

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 9:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't worry about this, perhaps she has just been allowed to watch mature television programmes... Although it could be completely innocent and she could ahve heard it off people at school, whatever the reason if this was my DD I'd want to know so I could talk to her and tell her that this was inappropriate behaviour. I would approach her by saying that this is something you'd like to know if it was your DD so you think she should, it's no biggy I wouldn't worry! Good luck with this situation.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:02 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would tell the mom that I think it's time to have a mature conversation about what is appropriate and what is not and exactly what her DD was doing and going to do.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• This has happened to me before! My friend's 5 year old daughter was showing my 5 year old daughter her "front butt"! My daughter told me about it and I told my friend. She got very angry at me even though I made it clear that I didn't blame her for any of it. I told her I just wanted to let her know. She said "My kid wouldn't do that!" Even though the week before the grandmother was telling my mom that the 5 year olds boy cousins were showing their privates to the little girl. I cant believe she got mad..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• if her daughter 'can do no wrong' expect her to think this is cute. If you try to tell her otherwise, she will probably get angry. I have had parents tell me all the time that either "my child wouldn't do that" or "what did another child do to provoke it" or things along those lines.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• "playing doctor" and mimicking tv shows is normal, natural curiosity. I would speak to your own daughter in a calm voice and tell her that you understand she is curious but that private matters are private matters. Try not to attribute any shame to this, but understand it's natural. Now it's your job to make sure she understands what's appropriate and not. I would also tell the other mother is a calm way about the incident and tell her how you explained it to your daughter. If you make it a matter of fact and friendly call you should have little risk of hurt feelings.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 11:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010