Only in America...

"82-year-old Robert Wallace...looked out his window and saw two men hooking his flatbed trailer up to their pickup. He yelled at them to stop, but they sped away, stealing his trailer...he fired two shots at the pickup."

"...neither Torres nor Cardona have been charged with anything at this point, even though Torres confessed to the crime. However...Wallace is facing 12 felony counts, including 4 counts of attempted first degree murder."

"Torres and Cardona are...in the country illegally and...have an arrest record. Cardona's record includes...driving without a license or insurance. Torres's record includes...trespassing...a 2005 arrest for aggravated motor vehicle theft for which he was given a plea bargain to a lesser crime...[and] is also under investigation for being part of a major auto theft ring."

Is this the "standard" by which our nation is becoming--reward the criminals and punish the innocent?! *sigh*

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 10:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Unbelievable. He was trying to save his trailer, the people who were trying to steal it are the criminals. Another thing; I thought that murder only applied if there was intent to kill; sounds like he was just trying to make them stop - making the maximum charge attempted manslaughter. Are they trying to make an example out of this 82 yo man??
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Gertie did you miss the part where the guys that made off with his property were charged with nothing? And here I thought it was legal to fire a weapon in defense of one's self and one's property.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• BUT I think that firing a gun is wrong no matter what the circumstance,

A would be serial rapist/killer breaks into you home and enters your bedroom. You grab your gun, fire two shots and drop him. Is that wrong??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i would be pissed that i missed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• What if he had shot and killed one of them?

Then it would be one less thief in the country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• he fired 2 shots, but is charged with 4 counts of attempted murder?? how's that working for him?? where'd the other charges come from...at his age, he might've run outside in his skivvies?
    only in america, is right! illegals..are you sure they didn't somehow get in on this vote for Change???
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Most laws state that both the gun and the person being "defended" against have to be in the same building, if they were driving off it's not LEGALLY self defense. That said, I don't agree with the way they are charging him. IF anything I would think an "unlawful weapon discharge" charge would be the best way to treat this.

As for the actual criminals, WHY THE HELL aren't they being charged? I don't get how they don't have a list of charges attached... Robbery, Transporting of Stolen Materials, hell, even reckless endangerment... That's just ridiculous!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think the punishment should be so harsh on him BUT I think that firing a gun is wrong no matter what the circumstance, they were stealing and he attempted murder - or at least he did in the court's eyes. They are two different things altogether and the latter is much more serious.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I should have never opened this post because when I read about this kind of thing happening, and it happens way too often, it just makes my blood boil.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Sweet where does it say he had intent to murder?

A man in Houston shot and killed a man that was burglerizing his neighbor's house when they weren't home, he was let go without any charges because he was defending the personal property of someone who couldn't.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2010