For those who did NOT pierce DDs as infants, when did you?

When did your DDs ask for earrings and when did you say yes? I'm not at all anti-piercings (I have a few) but I don't think it's ok to impose cutting through a child's skin or taking the related risks (especially for infants) for the sake of fashion when they don't consent or understand. When did your DDs consent and understand? How'd it come up and get decided? My 2 yr old likes stick/clip on earrings but I don think she understands piercings other than mommy's jewelry stays in place.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 10:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I made up my mind before my eldest was born that she would have to be at least 13 before I agreed to piercings, I think they should be old enough to know what they truly want. I don't want to enforce something on her that she doesn't want in the future.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My oldest was 5 and my youngest was 2 1/2. They both said they wanted them.. & they love them.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My daughter was 5 when she got hers pierced. She asked earlier than that, but we made her wait. After having them about 6 months, they got infected so we had to remove the earrings and she wouldn't let me put them back in. I think her holes have closed, and she now wants them pierced again. She is 7 now.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think my daughter was 14 when she finally went throught with it- she had said from about 8 or 9 she wanted to get her ears pierced-but would always chicken out when we'd take her. I would personally never peirce a babies ears
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• When she ask you, I would not do it sooner. They really don't need it.

My first did it as an infant, second as a toddler-she has always had problems with it., and third as a toddler. They wanted it, and I told them it would hurt but they insisted. I think it is cute, but if you don't get it done as an infant wait until the child ask you. Don't rush it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• She was asking at 18 months. We put it off until she was 3 1/2. She saved her allowance to get it done, we didn't even know she was saving. She thought we were telling her no was because we couldn't afford it so she saved her own money, even though we kept telling her she could at an older age when she could take care of them. At 3 1/2, she came to me with her piggy bank and dumped her quarters and dollars out and asked if she had enough for earrings. Said she'd been saving for "a thousand weeks" (translation, four weeks). She didn't have enough but we went ahead and let her buy some extra earrings and got them pierced. She did most of the cleaning.
    She knew it would hurt, she knew it would be like getting a shot, that the earrings would go through her ears, and stay there, that is could get infected and hurt more and have to be taken out. She said she could handle it. She did :-)
    She didn't cry at all, just sat there so still
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I agree with you. I don't have a daughter yet, but I know I didn't get mine pierced until I was 7 (by then, I was BEGGING to have it done). I would definitely wait until she's asking for it, at the very least, but, of course, when the time is right for you will really depend on when it's right for you.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My daughter was 10 when she had her done and it was completely her decision. She's now wanting a second piercing in each ear at 15.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't have a daughter, but, I was allowed at three because I was begging so bad for them. LOL I knew it would hurt and was prepared for it. My mom helped clean and stuff.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My girls are 10, 7 1/2 and 4 and none of them have their ears pierced.  I offered my oldest last year but when she heard what was involved she went white and said no way, lol.  If any of them wanted it done now I'd probably let them.

I was 14 when I got mine done.  I had no interest before that.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2010