If it took/is taking longer than a week to potty train your child....

you either:

A. Started before your child was ready.

B. Did commit yourself to the cause and were not consistent.

Anyone else agree with me? Every kid I know that had a mom the started only when the child showed all the readiness signs and was committed and consistent had their child trained in a weeks or even less. All those that didn't had kids whose training lingered on forever.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Hmm, I'd have to say this remark is ignorant.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 11:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yes and no. I beleive every child is different and every child will train in the appopriate amount of time for them. However I do beleive there are more and more women who are doing A and B as well
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 11:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No I don't agree in all cases, every child is different and therefore every child will take longer to complete a certain stage.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Disagree...
    C_Kight

Answer by C_Kight at 11:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Nope, don't agree. mine took several months before she was fully day and night trained because I didn't push her and let her lead. She didn't want to wear a diaper any longer but still had accidents for several weeks.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't agree at all... It took my son AGES to potty train. We waited until HE showed an interest and fit ALL the signs of "readiness" and from the day we got the potty, we took him in every hour on the hour and stuck to a strict training regime... But every time we got to a point where he was able to switch from diapers to something else he would regress to the point of not using a potty at all - even if he were on it for 10-15 mins - and going in his pants. We were training him for over 2 years! My son has an anxiety issue and it hindered his progress a lot! It had nothing to do with readiness or commitment - each child is different! And to label an issue with potty training as all the parents fault simply just doesn't always fit. Sure, there are cases where these things fit, but not all of them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would say that's often the case, but no blanket statement works for all children. My oldest was 3 years old before we tried to potty train him. He had some sensory issues that made him not care if he was uncomfortable, cold, hot, or wet. It was really difficult to make him understand what he was feeling when he had accidents in his underwear.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• DISAGREE! Our DD was 3 yo when we started. She was NOT talking yet (speech delay) and it took almost a month to get her potty trained! Though she wasn't talking, she was absorbing and started reading at 3y8m enabling her to skip kindergarten.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• disagree. some kids just take a bit longer but they are still willing to learn. My son is going on month 2 and he is very ready, he's just taking his time and we arent rushing him. He's also speech delayed so it took a bit longer to teach him the basics so he could verbally communicate with us.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2010