What should i do with my teenage neice?

My neice is 13 and has been staying with us this summer. She had an attitude so i made her go to be till she would tell me why. She came and said her friend died which was a lie. Just found out. She even had big tears when she told me. I found out by checkin her texts and shed been texting her friend all day. So i confronted her and she lied more till she finally realized she was busted. I took her phone away and cut her internet access off. Idk what else to do. We had thought about letting her move up here cause shes from a bad home and drug area.I dont want her to affect my 3 children. I also dont want to walk away and her wind up like the rest in that town and be on drugs or pregnant at 13. I need help. my kids are younger so i havnt went through teenage years yet.

mimi30513

Asked by mimi30513 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow, I can't believe she'd lie about somethign like that. Show her how serious that was, you've got to. Secondly I think you need to start being firmer with her, don't treat her like your niece and giver her lots of chances (I'm presuming - Correct me if it's different) and ask her about her problems, she's sounds as if she's a stroppy teenager and that's that. Instead just treat her like she's your child. Be harsh with her, punish her, don't let her get away with anything. It sounds as if she needs to learn respect sharpish. You're doing a wonderful thing taking her in, may God support you during this difficult time!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I understand you wanting to protect your other children, but she's a child too and I think you've called it right.She could be headed for trouble.
    my experience is this- if my niece was in this situation there is no way in the world I wouldn't want to keep her with me.
    Kids of that age can go through all kinds of things, yours maybe will too.
    I think you did right by taking the internet and phone away. Teach her that honesty is valuable. Lots of kids don't understand that. I'm dealing with the same thing my niece.
    My and her mommy went round for a few years until finally we realized that our little drama queen was playing us- and she's good at it! she's very smart and has a talent for acting.
    In my opinion, I say take her in and embrace her. I think that in one way or another kids are all our responsibility to look out for and do what we can.
    But I would get her the help you can- you can made a difference! please do!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010