Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

would you let your children go to a court ordered visitation if the other parent will not be there? My children have come home for a week due to being home sick, and are going back to finish the 3 week visitation, but their father will not be there, should I let them go back? If they had the choice, they would stay with me, they are 12 and 14.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (14)
  • what are they going for if he won't be there? that makes no sense to me honestly

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • I wouldn't, they have visitation with their father.....not his family.

    Answer by colethky at 11:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • If their father won't be there, then who is going to look after them? No, I wouldn't send them back if they aren't going to be with the one person they are supposed to be with. To me that would be the father refusing to be with them. But before you decide on anything - contact your lawyer. You do not want to jeapordize your custody.


    Answer by Katt709 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • if the other patent not there
    then i think that you do not have to
    visitation is for parents unless otherwise stated by court
    call your lawyer or the court that did ruling
    someone there should be able to answer on the legal part
    but my thoughts are no

    Answer by fiatpax at 11:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • Yes, contact your lawyer and make it known that you were going to take them, but the father wasn't going to be there. If there father isn't going to be there then the visitation should be cancled. In my opinion. Either way, take it through the court to make sure that everyone knows the situation.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • i agree with the pps...if the person they are supposed to be having visitation with is not going to be there then they should not be going. unless the court order states other wise. i would try to rescedule when the parent will be present.

    Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • Honestly, I would call my lawyer. The thing is no, they should not have to go if their parent is not going to be there. But, you don't want to fail to meet a court ordered visit, unless the court knows and approves of it being missed.
    Honestly, I would talk to the dad first, and just say, "Hey, they do not want to go when you are not going to be there. When would you like to swap the time to so that you can be there with our kids?"

    Answer by mommy11260 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • Well, ifyou're meaning that they would be visiting the family on their dads side, I would have them go just so they can make those connections with their family members, even if they don't reallywant to. If it's not family, I wouldn't have them go.

    Answer by Flippindadaisie at 11:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • Get in touch with the courts, discuss the matter you wouldn't want to lose your children to the family because you defy a court order. Make sure you do what the tell you,BUT remember they do have a right to know his side of the family that part of life is just as vital as is their knowing your part. Remember it took two parents to make you and your ex- they are entitled to some of their life as well. They may thank you when they are older if you let them go, or they may regret not going if you keep them home. Family is Family to the children no matter which way you split it.

    Answer by Mysticwriter at 11:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • The court most likely won't assist you...look at your judgment and see what it says - or call your attorney. The agreement is most likely between you and your ex, and if he isn't there, then the kids don't need to go. Now, there have been cases that I've worked on that does state that the grandparents have visitation and other to be on the safe side check with your attorney.

    Answer by mybratsmom at 11:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.