How do I keep my 12 year old innocent to the not so innocent things in life

My daughter has had to deal with racial issues in shcool

Niquee365

Asked by Niquee365 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I understand your concerns, being the parent of a 12 year old and having to deal with racial issues. Unfortunately in this world racism will always exist. There will always be ignorance no matter where we are. You first have to identify the fact that your daughter is not a baby. Your responsibility is not to protect her from the not so innocent things in this world but to inform her. The more clear knowledge she obtains from you the better off she will be. I explain to people all the time I do not lie to my kids. I may not tell the whole truth depending on their age but I inform them of the reality of this world. Just talk to her keep the door open for communication between you and her. She will then know she can come to you about anything. Which is what we all want as parents.
    icandothis31

Answer by icandothis31 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• IMO, I don't think kids should have the world child-proofed for them. I believe you need to start at home and world-proof your child. Meaning: Teach her what it is, how to deal with it and make her confident enough to face any challenge. Equip her with the tools to deal with it. I don't think shielding her from the realities she will have to face is good for her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure you can, you just need to explain to her that these things shouldn't affect her in anyway.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If you shielded them from the unpleasant things in life, they will grow up not knowing how to deal with them when they are adults. I agree with BradenIsMySon. You need to teach them how to deal with it. Shielding her is not doing her any favors.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You can't and you shouldn't because you will not always be there to shelter.

Answer by older at 11:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• BradenIsMySon said it best! Can't put it any better. Sooner or later she is going to have to deal with these things on her own, you can't keep her locked up and innocent forever and you don't want her to be overwhelmed and not know what to do when that time comes.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Throw out your TV and start homeschooling them.
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My opinion.... I guess, unfortunately, its real life and the best you can do for her is to teach her about these things so she can deal with them properly as she grows =0) I'm not a moma yet but I don't think I would want to shelter my child. I hope this would make him/her strong and wise to those evils in life. Good luck!

I do like the throw out your TV idea though! =0)

SupriseImPregy

Answer by SupriseImPregy at 11:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You can't. And by sheltering her from the realities in this world you will do more harm in the long run. It's better that she learn to cope with these things early on, while you can still shape her reactions and beliefs, than to try to hide it from her until she is thrown in to the middle of a big scary world. Exposure isn't a bad thing, and at 12, she isn't a child any more, she's a young lady, and should be treated as such.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You spend time with your child every day, live the example of the life you want them to have. The best role model for our children is ourselves. I speak from experience when I say the kitchen can wait if they have a question or need to talk. Listen and be there use your experience to guide you and learn from each one of theres.
    Mysticwriter

Answer by Mysticwriter at 11:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2010