Why the need to text everything regardless of how important it is?

Why do people do this? It's hard enough to have a civilized conversation face to face about an important issue but then you throw texting into it where there is no body language or vocal intonation and things get taken the wrong way.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• It does help with the temper control. You have to think about what you write, and maybe you'll say something different. Sarcasm can't be heard in a text message.
    I don't know, those are just guesses. I only text occasionally, mostly my husband because he can't talk at work and my mom because during the day, I don't want to hear the screaming kids she babysits for. :-)
    I agree about the body language and voice thing. Stuff can be taken the wrong way if it's just written out.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Well I know that for me sometimes it is easier to text because i can't seem to have a conversation with anyone with dd around bugging me constantly (mom mom mom mom mom mom AHHHH!!!!) lol. So if it is important i can take my time and say exactly what i want to say.
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• it's like taking the easy way out of a hard conversation.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I love texting. It makes me closer to friends and family. Do you email? That is the same thing.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 12:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My SO text A LOT. Too much in fact. It's just easier when I have the kids up my butt or I'm doing other things and don't have the time to talk on the phone. Major discussions have been had over text, but it is not a great idea. You can't hear tone or anything and things get read the wrong way and it becomes an issue. It is; however, sometimes easier to say things kind of "anonymously" via text rather than face to face.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010