Should arranged marriages be outlawed?

MTM

Asked by MTM at 11:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Eh. In America, usually the women who are forced into arranged marriages KNOW they actually do still have a choice. That choice may include being disowned by their family (which I imagine to be more difficult than most can imagine) but I've know a handful of women who have had a arranged marriages and although a few of them weren't thrilled with the idea, they did it to please their family not because they felt it was a life or death situation.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• they are in America. !!!! Not in other countries. Thank God I am an American and have the freedom of choice and Thank you to all of our service men and women to preserve that freedom!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Arranged marriages had a better sucess rate than marriages do now. Most times it was because the 'lust' factor was taken out of it and it was based upon what would make the best arrangement for all.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No. In my opinion they work in as many cases as non-arranged marriages. It is just parents trying to do right by their children.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I have to agree that no, they should NOT be outlawed.
    most of the time they work out MUCH better than non-arranged marriages do.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Unfortunately, I have to say no. Arranged marriages have a lot to do with religion and if we want to maintain freedom of religion we must allow those who practice a faith that condones arranged marriage to continue to do so. Doing this does not violate any laws of the U.S. like poligamy does and, therefore, even though it is repugnant to the majority it must not be outlawed.
    momoftwins240

Answer by momoftwins240 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No. As long as both parties are over the legal age to marry and are entering in to the marriage of their own free will why does it matter who set it up? Personally, I don't agree with them, I couldn't do it to my kids, BUT, if both parties are willing to go along with it - go for it. It's not my place to say it's not what is right for them.

Here in PA, when we got married, the mayor (who married us) pulled us aside and had us both state individually, that we were entering our marriage of our own free will and without force. Everyone I know has done this before they were married - although I don't know anyone that has had a religious marriage... But if both parties are legally over 18 (or 16 in some states) and are willing to enter the marriage it doesn't matter if their parents chose him or if her best friends saw him and the bar...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• not outlawed, but I think that the people getting married should be able to say yes or no to the situation.
    it depends on what they mean by 'arranged'.
    sometimes the arranged situations are pretty much a set up and introduction.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It should
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 12:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2010