Should judges be allowed to take into account whether or not a parent is biologically related to a child when making decisions in a custody hearing?

MTM

Asked by MTM at 11:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My cousin met this woman who was pregnant and was there at the time of birth and i think even signed the birth certificate. They got married and when the child was about 11/ 12 they got a divorce and he got custody of the child even though he was not blood related. He shares the child and the child actually lives with the mom most of the time anyway but He fought hard because he wanted to have him in his life and knew that if he didn't he would never see that child again. So in that case it won in my cousins favor but I don't know how often that actually happens.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• What do you mean by this?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think all matters should be considered. but, I don't think that being biologically related has much of anything to do with who is the better parent.
    bonding with a child can happen whether you are bio related or not.
    everyone's situation is different.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• that is a tough one. but say that both parents are proved unfit then a third party can petition for the kids say a grand parents or an extended family member. this would be to prevent the kids being taken and put into the system. but they would not automatically look at any one other than the parents unless someone else steps up and says hey these parents are not good for the children. and it is proven to be true. they at that time can file the petition for a temporary judgment for placement of the children.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 12:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If his name was on the birth certificate and/or he adopted the child, he has the full rights as a parent. He would have to pay child support etc. just as any parent would. He would have the full rights as a parent from what I understand from working for an attorney. I guess that could vary from state to state, but probably not.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 12:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I believe custody only applies to legal guardians of children, biological or not.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• xxlilmomma09: Well i feel that some bio parents are not fit and if that child wants to be with a mom/dad or a family other then bio that is more stable then his/her own the judge should at least think about it.
    MTM

Comment by MTM (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• well if bio parents have been raising the kids taking care of them they should have first chances to get custody.. also my fiancee helping me raise my 2 kids that aren't his the "dad" isn't really around in our case the stepparent should be allowed say in raising the kids with the bioparents.. I think judges should listen to each case & decide on a individual basis. but yes both bio parents & non bioparents should get a chance ..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010