When did your baby sleepover?

At what age did your baby spend the night away from you for the first time?

My son is almost 5 months old. My in-laws want to take him, for the weekend. I'm totally freaking out. Yes, this is my first child. Yes, this will be the first time away from him for more than like, 3 hours. But am I crazy to think that an entire weekend (from this afternoon to Monday) is just a little absurd. He doesn't know them, as we live in another state (we are visiting)... So I think it's going to be stressful on us both. His parents smoke, and I can't be sure that they would not expose him to that. I mean, I trust them as far as taking care of him. Feeding, diapering, bathing, etc. I'm just nervous. Did you guys go through this! And if you did, how did you occupy yourself? I'll probably get less sleep withOUT him around, haha!

How do I keep from having an anxiety attack. I'm going crazy over here.

MrsDex

Asked by MrsDex at 11:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 5 year old has never spent the night away from home. My 8 year old once stayed at my sister's house overnight when he was 3 years old.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Never. They are 1 and 3.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• 5 or 6 years old.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My In-laws smoke and I wont let them take my 6 month old. I know they wont smoke around my son but they do smoke in the house so I won't even let my son go over there.... Among other reasons. I think my baby is still to young and I don't let anyone take him over night unless we're all in the same house. I know people who pawn their kids off on people even younger than Your child and mine. So I guess some people are okay with it. I think youre like me because I would shit myself with worry haha
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 11:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't remember with my son. It was fairly early though but dh's parents were begging to keep him over night so I finally just said fine. Umm... I wouldn't let my child stay the whole weekend with grandparents he doesn't know for that long, especially the first time beign away from you! But do what you feel is best. My daguhter is 6 weeks and haven't left my side for more than 3 hours.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• She was somewhere between 2-4 months and stayed two days with my mom while I got over strep. Mom offered to keep her for a couple days so I wouldn't give it to Ki, and after thinking about it a while, I agreed. Since then, she has stayed overnight almost once a week except for while my brother is there.
    You could just ask them not to smoke around him.
    The first time, I was zonked out on meds, so I hardly even noticed the first day with the fever and meds making me woozy. The second day, I missed her like crazy.
    It got easier each time though, and now it doesn't faze me in the least for her to spend a night or two away. It also helped when I had to drop her off with mom occasionally when my and my husband's work schedules overlapped.
    If you let him go, just try to keep from calling every ten minutes! Read a book, have some alone time with your hubby, take a long bath. Have fun and good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That young I would not have left my kids with anyone unless it was an emergency. With my oldest, I had emergency surgery and my LO stayed with my sister for ONE night while I was in the hospital.
    The whole weekend would be too much for me to leave him with the inlaws. I would worry myself sick.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My DD is 14 months and has never spent a night away from me. Only a few hours, and I can't even have fun, went to dinner and a movie with hubby and left the movie early to get back to her. You could consider me over protective though, and myclosest family member lives across an ocean >
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 12:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yeah, thats a tough call to make...its not easy to let go of one that young..especially for a whole weekend!
    When my son was little my sister kept him overnight once or twice before he turned one.
    My daughter, I havent been able to part with for more than a few hours,lol.
    Its all about what YOU are comfortable with. If its too hard for you, don't agree to it, you dont have to and they should understand.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Thanks everyone... I think I'm gonna threaten their lives if they smoke around him, haha. I've agreed to it, but I'm pretty sure I'll only last til tomorrow, lol!
    MrsDex

Comment by MrsDex (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010