Please help with post-divorce to-do list... :( Thanks so much for reading.

My husband and I are divorcing (after 11 years of marriage) w/i the next year and I need your help. It's probably a stupid request...I just need help processing it all. What I'm trying to do is make a list of everything I'm going to have to do afterwards such as finding a place for me and my kids and getting insurance (kids ages 5 and 7 will be on his insurance).

I think if I have a list of everything Im going to need to do, I'll have time to prepare my mind and it won't be so stressful!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this...Any and all help is appreciated and I would also appreciate a bump if anyone can give it later!! I would to stay anonymous and I can't reply.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Place to live. Schooling or daycare. Health, Life, Car Insurance. Getting things for your home; dishes, pots, pans, cleaning supplies, furniture, etc. If you are a SAHM, possibly finding a job. If I think of more, I'll post again.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Not for sure but, surround yourself with supportive friends and family is a MUST!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• See if your state will allow spousal maintenance and make sure you get child support. Make a Parenting Plan with him before it gets to court. If you are wanting to go back to school, do it now and if you don't get a grant then make him pay for it if you need to learn a trade to get back in the work force. The other posters gave great ideas. I planned to leave about a year before I divorced my x. I made my plan (return to school and find a job to support myself and my 3 kids since I knew he wouldn't help). I shopped around for our new home and shopped for bargains to have new things. I left him all the old stuff. I got a job that gave me insurance and with my tax return bought a car so I was good to go.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Make sure you have tons of support for everything...emotional, spiritual, you name it. Place to live, school, childcare, all insurances, household needs, vehicle (if you need it), savings account, child(ren)'s needs - toys, clothes, etc.

HTH!
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 2:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• There's all the material needs, place to live, care, school/daycare, food, phone, insurance, furniture, househould accessories. Things in place for school or work whatever you will be doing. Then it's not technically post divorce, more during, but I don't know what kind of divorce you'll have if you'll be fighting each other or not, but make sure you cover everything in the divorce agreement, house/cars/stuff etc. bills, and most importantly your kids. Also make sure you have things in place for your emotional needs, if you're spiritual a good church that will support you, friends and family that will be there for you. Babysitters in place if your kids are still young so when you need some time to yourself you can get it. Good luck. I just had my divorce finalized in March and it's a hard time, but you will get through it. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, even if you just need to talk or vent. PM me if you would like
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If hubby carries the insurance (medical), have him continue covering you if it's a family plan. I have to continue covering my STBX husband's medical insurance because it would either be 'employee' or 'family' so since there's no cost difference, lucky me.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 3:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010