Wouldn't stay in the crib, now he won't stay in the toddler bed! What else do I do?

For 4 days now my 24 month old will NOT stay in bed. As soon as we put him down, he gets back up. Put him back down, he gets right back up. We go through this for about 4-5 hours every single night. I usually let him play around in the room but then he comes out and thinks its ok. I've tried calming him down before bedtime, yelling, spanking, talking calmly, not saying anything, trying to ignore it - it's just like he does not care. I don't know what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We put a gate up at my daughters door when she did that. When she climbed over that, we would put one on top of the other. Sounds barbaric, but it's not. If she really needed us we knew and would get her, but 9 out of 10 times, it was just her not wanting to be in bed
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We baby proofed my 2.5 yo's room, and put a baby gate across the door. He knows that bedtime means lights out and we're not coming to get him - after a few months now he pretty much stays in his bed after we put him there.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That's normal. Any kid who has the ability to get out of bed is going to take advantage of it. Getting upset isn't going to do anything, but make him want to push the limits further.

I agree with the baby gate. I also am going to suggest telling him it is bedtime, then putting him to bed. Everytime he gets up put him back without saying a word. He'll get the hint. The more you show you're frustrated and aggrivated the more he'll keep doing it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Gate and a lot of ignoring. It may take a few weeks but stay firm and he'll get used to it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Completely normal. Try to do whatever you can to run off their energy during the afternoon. Have a bedtime routine? Maybe start a few different things. Like read a few stories to him in bed? Put up a gate, I like the idea of 2 gates if needed. After some time it will settle, some kids just take longer than others. I would just try your best to be consistent and lay him back in bed without a lot of talk, yelling, or discussion. That's giving him attention he is seeking. Just lay him back down, cover him up and kiss him on the head and say Good Night. I owuld probaby by waking him up at his normal time in the morning and not letting him sleep in as well. Same with the nap schedule.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Strap him in! LOL jk, if he takes naps during the day I wouldn't let him take them anymore so that at night he is too tired to have any energy left, or try have him use up his energy earlier in the day.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010