good learning experiance... right?

13 yr old son is going off to camp. a ymca camp that draws from the WHOLE area. He is only used to our upper upper middle class area. I have raised him to understand that not everyone lives like he does... but it is one thing to be told and another to experiance it. He is respectful but I still think he just doesnt get it. I think this week will be VERY good for him, it will be a HUGE learning experience, but Im also afraid he may say something insensitive out of naivety. I want him to have a good time, I want his eyes to be opened, but I also worry a bit. Guess these are lessons that make boys into men... right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Right...Maybe have him do some actual volunteer work, I think that will give him some perspective, and allow him to really see first hand that his lifestyle isnt the only one.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Absolutely right, children need these experiences to understand all different aspects of people. I sent my son to Europe last year with the People to People program, as expensive as it was I thought an experience of a life time to learn about different people, different cultures was so important to see the world for all i ts uniqueness...it gave him a better understanding of the struggles others have and the diversity that makes them who they are. I think understanding these things gives children a better sense of compassion and empathy...to learn what it means to put themselves into the other person's shoes, makes them a better person I think.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I agree with bumblebee. He needs to do something like that to be able to see BOTH ends of the spectrum. Perhaps a homeless shelter? If he isn't old enough for that, maybe you can find a church nearby that helps homeless people, and do it that way.
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 1:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• until you've lived someone else's life you don't get. He will probably never totally understand, but I think he's getting a good experience. He's only a kid- let him grow up.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I think it's a good thing for him. Hope he has a good time!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It will be a great experience for him!

My daughter is in the opposite position; she attends a JCC camp, mostly upper middle class and up. She attends an urban public school, with a littl bit of everything! She has had fellow campers ask her if she knows black people; one girl told her that black people are "cute"

Answer by rkoloms at 1:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Not only is it good, but, if he did say something....he would be told how it really is by the other kids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010