Does your husband or SO put the toilet seat down? Do you expect him to?

I asked my husband to for a while after we got married, it seemed like the thing to do. After a while, I gave up. He has a point, why should he put it down, why not me put it up? Now we both just check and put it where we need it when we go to the bathroom.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• My ex just did whatever he felt like. I never cared except I kinda preferred that he leave it up cause that way at least I knew he had put it up when he used the toilet. I grew up with three brothers and ran an in home daycare for about 5 years. I'd rather put the seat down then sit in "dribbles". Yuck.
    And he does have a point... Why shouldn't girls have to put it up for the men?????
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 2:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Always. In 13 years, he's never once left it up.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• They don't even bother to life the lid here.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• he leaves it up. sometimes it gets annoying. but it's better than him peeing on it!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Hubby always closes the lid, and so do I. neither of us can stand it open.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Hubby always puts the toilet seat down. I have never had to ask him to do it, it is something that he has always done.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 1:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Sometimes my SO leaves it up, I just put it down. I don't really expect him to, it's not a big deal. My ex always put it down because we close the lid when we flush in our home.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He ALWAYS puts it back down. I have never said anything to him, he just does it. But see, it isn't just the toilet seat, it's the whole thing with the lid included. We both do it. We have dogs and it's gross when they drink out of the toilet, so we always close the lid after use. If we were in the situation where he never put it down, I wouldn't care. What's the big deal about putting the seat down before you sit on it? Why should that little insignificant thing have power over the happiness in a marriage? It's just too petty to worry about. Also, if I were to insist he put it down then why couldn't he insist I put it up? It's all just silly and a waste of time to argue over such pettiness. Not saying you and your SO are arguing, just stating that I wouldn't waste my time with it.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 1:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't see why it matters. I mean if you expect him to keep it down, then shouldn't he expect you to keep it up? Either way someone has to move the seat so they can go to the bathroom....unless you both have seperate bathrooms that the other doesn't use.
    trelmix

Answer by trelmix at 1:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He leaves it up. And he's outnumbered 3-1 in the house by us gals. Since I lived alone for so long, I was used to being able to sit down without thinking. Now I look first. I've "fallen in" more than once. LOL
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010