How do I deal/handle with a 7yr old adhd child?

She is out of control with me but listens to my bf. This is cause us to fight and him to want to leave. He has been around kids with this and I have not. We are switching docs and she is starting counseling. I am losing it and I have a 3 1/2 month old to take care of as well.

puresouthern

Asked by puresouthern at 1:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Taking medication as a child does NOT make you a drug addict. If you sit on your butt, do nothing and hand them a pill and tell them heres a 'happy' pill THAT can lead to addiction. I have a 27 yr old who still struggles with ADHD. When he is on meds he is in total control of his life. Without them he can not even think clearly enough to make good decisions. If you give your child the meds you tell them the meds isn't a quick fix. Tell them the medicatioon helps their brain to help them calm down so they can make good choices. ADHD kids, in my experience, do best with very organized fairly ridgid schedules. I also had great success with the "chips system of rewards" They earn chips for good behaviour and completing chores..they spend chips for TV, video games , riding bikes etc. They also cvan save chips for bigger things.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Grn, I am soo happy that whatever research you have done or whatever people you know that were on meds are OK now. However it is a proven fact that behavioral meds in children under 18 lead to drug addiction! You tell a child that pill makes your brain work better. They get to school oh that will make you do this better and that better oh I'm going to take it! The only way I feel normal is through drugs! Every single person I knew that took meds for ADD and ADHD before the age of even 15 is now a drug addict and one of them in my BIL and everywhere he goes for help they tell him that is his link. Every drug addict has a link what draws them into drugs etc etc his and many many many others have the same link PERSCRIPTION MEDS!!!!!! I was on Paxil for about 1 year in my teens and when I realized that I was taking DRUGS to feel normal I stopped takibg them. No way was I going to rely on a drug to keep me sane!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I have an 11 yr old that is ADHD. My husband and I have her in counseling and on medication. It's hard, I know. My husband and I have a chart to help encourage our child to motivate themselves and earn rewards. Hang in there. Just be aware kids also have a tendency to listen to a deeper voice. As women, we don't have that to alert kids. Lol.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 1:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• try the fiengold diet with her(google it)
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Try and put your foot down. If she is on meds take her off ASAP!!! Do you know that you are forming a future drug addict with those pills people? Studies show it. This is what you do OP(now I am not trying to bash you I understand things are hard for you right now) you sit her down. She is old enough to sit down and listen. You MAKE her listen. It has nothing to do with ADHD it has to do with respect. You say she listens to your BF because you fight and he wants to leave. She does not respect you. Stop fighting with him and making him want to leave! This is not good for you child and not good for a baby even more.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Link one single study by a reputable agency. You and your friends do not represent the larger population.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• http://www.eagleforum.org/column/2000/june00/00-06-21.html
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Oh yes and it can kill you! I have links for that too
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That is not a study. In it's own statement it was an INFORMAL INVESTIGATION on ONE collge campus by ONE Dr. I did not say ADHD meds were not being abused. Your statement that " every single person you know" became addicts. Fine..but not every single kid becomes an addict. I can nam,e you 10 adults I know right now who took meds as kids and are not a,have not, abused drugs. Perscription or otherwise. If uyou want to take the "no meds " stance have at it.. But don't miscontrue the facts. Scare tactics only serve yourself.
    OP If you would like to discuss ADHD further I would be happy to hear from you. I'm done here.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010