Am I just being silly?

My entire life I have wanted to go to the same university. I started there after high school, but haven't finished. It is across the county from where I am living right now and I moved out here to be close to my parents when my marriage started going south. I am now divorced and I have two little girls. Their dad is not involved and has made no effort or even shown any interest in changing that. That being said, my dad it their positve male figure in their life. I have been so glad they have that. Also my parents have been an immense support and there are days I wonder if I would be able to make it without them. I am seriously wanting to go back to school and get my degree, but am having a hard time letting go of wanting to go back and finish at the school I started(which would require a move across the country). Do you think I should just let go of that dream and find a school around here?

jillybean703

Asked by jillybean703 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think if you have support and help with the move, then do it. It will be better all the way around for everyone. If you can wait a bit, possible try a local jr. college, get the basics over with, and if you STILL feel that desire, then go.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 2:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• find a local school
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• that depends...do you have support 'out there' at the other college? who's going to help with your children while you attend classes? is your family going, as well? sometimes dreams have to be altered, depending on our life's actions/outcomes. you have two children, of whom have become quite used to living/depending on your parents, their g-parents being there(assumedly). the kids should be a bigger part of this dream. sure, college education is great, and will help you in the long run, but if you can go to school right where you are, and still be a mother, with full support of your parents, then stay here.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I dont think it matters from where you earn your degree as long as you earn one. Find a local school...in my book, nothing takes the place of family. I certainly would not want to live that far from my parents.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• don't be selfish, think of your kids and stay close to home
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Never give up on a dream! I think that you should do it! Yes things may be tight and harder then they are now, but in the end I am sure that it would be worth it. Also check to see if they have online courses that you may be able to take. Or you could go to a local school and then transfer. But I would say go for it because you don't want to regret it later in life.
    trelmix

Answer by trelmix at 1:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• ditto dullscissors.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Find a local school. If there's no particularly special about that school, I see no reason to move across the country to attend it. You can get your degree at any college/university. You could also see if they have an online program as well.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• are you sure you'd have to move cross country? do they have a online program? keep in mind that out of state tuition can sometimes cost more - you used to have to live in the state for a certain amount of time first.

I would explore your options.
    if you can finish at a local school, then great. but not all credits transfer. I'd see if that school has a on line program.
    but no matter what any school tells you, keep all your receipts, read everything you sign at least twice, have someone else read it too to make sure you don't miss anything, and if they don't put a promise in writing, then it means nothing!
    I did the above, friends didn't and did they regret it!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would. Or I would postpone the education until the children are grown. Then you will be free to go wherever you choose to go. Right now, I think you are where you need to be. You don't have to give up your dream, just postpone it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2010