Need some advice

I need a little bit of help do yall think we could afford another baby. Right know my son is 10 months. We pay $65 for rent right now. We will be getting another place soon rent for a 2 bedroom runs around $510 here. We pay $100 one average for electril and $120 for internet and phone. About $400 for food a month. Right know my husband makes around $1000-$1500 a month. I about to get a minum wage job in a few weeks. Need help beacuse we have only been on our own without parents from about 8 months. Dont really know how to budget.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you feel that you are struggling to make ends meet NOW, having another child, isn't going to make things any easier--and it's a guarantee that it will be that much harder! You say you want to work too, so who will be watching your two children? Day care alone will cost more per month than your take home pay will generate!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think it would be comfortable for you to afford. I would save up and get something in the bank and get stable before you add on to the family. Give it some time.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• no..

here is a few tips on budgeting money..

one: apartment should only be 25% maximum of your wages earned.. so if your hubby is making (we'll go with the lower figure since that's the one you want to use to budget with for just in case) your apartment cost should be no more than $250 a month. Then from there you figure in food and utilities..

if you are only making $1000 a month -$400 for food your total cost left is only $600.. include another $150 for an additional baby for necessities and you only have $450 left.. now that money has to cover transportation costs, utilities, and rent.. and no that is not going to cut it, $600 a month isn't really a lot either after you take out rent and utilities for just ONE child. (and not sure if you included other necessities into your food bill, like clothing, bottles, wipes, diapers, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• in addition to that, if you are looking for a job, I would get a job that offers benefits like FMLA.. so that when you have another child you can afford to go on leave, and have benefits such as medical covered.

It's also healthier to wait at LEAST a year, typically two before having another baby. It gives your body a chance to heal and produce a healthy baby.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• trust me, we screwed up our finances after we had a baby and ended up loosing evreything because we didn't budget in the just in case factors of life.. (like when going to buy a new car, even though you can afford it, you find out it's stolen, and thus are out a car AND money).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It doesn't sound like it to me. I personally would rather wait until I had some money in the bank and maybe even a place of my own before expanding the family. Also, if you've only been on your own 8 months, you must be pretty young, so why rush and limit yourself? Take it slow, see if you guys can get a little more career stability/success going first so you don't end up stressed about money all the time.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If you wait around to have enough money, you will never have another baby. I say go for it. If it is something that you and your husband want, then yes I think that you should have another baby.
    trelmix

Answer by trelmix at 1:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I really can't answer this question because as a child gets older the more they cost so u will have to take that into consideration.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• How much are you saving for retirement and college?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010