A very generous gift for nothing...

A lady at my church came by our garage sale a few weeks ago buying up boxes of VHS movies. She said whatever was not sold she would want. Well, we still had 3 boxes left so we dropped them off at church for her to just have. Getting rid of them was our only goal. She sent us a $25 gift certificate in the mail to Outback Steak House! I feel like she is being ripped off now and I feel bad keeping it. I know giving it back is rude, so what to do? Do I send her a thank you card as well? These movies meant NOTHING to us. We were selling them 10 for a dollar as it was. So we probably only gave her "$10 worth" of movies.

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 2:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Send her a thank you note, and maybe some microwaveable popcorn, for while she's watching her new movie collection!! LOL (Maybe she still has a VHS tape player?! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'd keep it and either call her and say thanks or just send a thank you card. She knows that the monetary value of vhs is really cheap, she probably was just happy for having so many movies or there were a couple in there that she really liked and couldn't find elsewhere. Plus, even getting them used somewhere else, she would have paid more than that for them. Just let her know you appreciate it and say thanks.
    Or, invite her to lunch/dinner with it. That may be fun and you could get to know her better, maybe get a new good friend out of it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would send a thank you note!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would send her a thank you card. I'm sure she doesn't feel ripped off.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• What you did was a good thing... She just wanted to thank you for them...If it was me yes i would give her a thank you card there is no need to give a giftcard a simple thank you will be just fine..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• She wanted to bless you, send her a thank you note. It is a lesson for you and others. You do reap what you sow. Blessing others will bless you. When I was a divorced mother with a baby, an older co-worker gave me $50 to help me. I told her I couldn't repay her. She told me that someone once did that to her and she was paying it forward. She told me to do the same thing when I could.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 4:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just send her a nice thank you card letting her know how you appreciate her generosity & thoughtfulness.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• send a thank you note :)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• One man's trash is another man's treasure. She feels like she got a deal. Send a thank you card.
    janel123

Answer by janel123 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010