SAHM how do you do it?

My kids are grown and gone, and my husband said it was okay if I stayed at home without working. However, every time an issue arises, he throws it in my face. I am trying to go back to school in August for a new career, but it's never good enough. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• maybe marriage counseling and compromising may work. He's obviously stressed and not ok with your being a sahm.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You are no longer a SAHM once your kids leave the house, IMO. You know have free will to go do something for yourself. Maybe he wants you to go find something to do. Volunteer at a shelter, or school, something.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You need to talk with him. Maybe you can also get at least a part time job while you're in school.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 2:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'd be irritated if my husband sat around the house all day while i worked. You can probably get a job in your field even if you haven't gone to school yet. It might not be the six-figure job you plan on getting when you have the degree you need but you'll have something to put on your resume besides SAHM.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If your kids are grown then I think you would technically be a "housewife" or "homemaker".  My mom was one after me and my brother went off to college.  She spent her time doing crafts and things that she enjoyed.  That was her retirement.

I would suggest a reality check for your husband.  My husband works hard so I can stay home (working 16 hour days, his days off, etc) with our 5 kids and he has never thrown it in my face.  He says it's "our" money.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Stay at home?.......Why?.........Ya kids r grown and out the house.Better yourself,then when issues arise;you can help out more.Every man loves a working woman! Any man that says he doesn't, just wants to be Controlling....Or is just very Insecure!
    CafeMom732

Answer by CafeMom732 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Have you talked to him about it? Asked him why he seems upset that you are a housewife? Do you want to do something else now that your kids are grown? I would just talk to hima nd see what happens!
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 4:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Kick him in the balls.

No really, talk to him and tell him to either be OK with it or STFU about it every time things get tight.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I personally think it is unhealthy to stay home all day so going out and doing something is else going in the right direction.

maybe he knows financially it is okay, but now you don't have children so maybe he wants you doing something besides sitting on CAfemom or whatever else you do.
    Anonymous