How many students are in a 3rd grade class?

I have heard that after 2nd grade the class sizes get bigger and wonder if anyone knows how many kids there are in the average public schools 3rd grade classes? Are there laws about this? Or is there a website I can find this on? I have checked the school districts website and I cannot find this information anywhere. Thanks in advance.

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in

• Class size is totally depended on your local school district. Many states have state issues report cards that tell you the status of the school and how it compares to other schools in the state. One of the things often included in these state report cards is the average class size. The local schools here average to about 25-35 kids per classroom. It really just pends on the the school. You might want to see if you can find the school's state report card on either the district website or the state's education website.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Depends on the school.. I just went to sign my daughter up for head start and they said 15-27 in the head start classes..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It depends on the school and if they have funding for class size reduction. If they do, then they have to use that money to concentrate on K-2 classrooms.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• In my kids elementary school the class size doesn't change. If there are 4 teachers for second grade they get 4 teachers for third grade when those second graders go into third. The class size is normally around 20 kids.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 2:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Our K-2 classrooms have about 20 kids per class but from 3rd up they have about 30 kids per class
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Call the school and ask. Also ask if aids work with the teachers. Makes a huge differnce. 20-21 is ideal but many classes are way bigger than this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That depends on the school.

Our school (which isn't public) only has 1 class per grade so the number doesn't really change.  My son was going into 3rd and there were 22 students in his class last year.  My oldest dd had 30 kids in her 3rd grade class.  Her class is the biggest in the school (there were 28-30 kids in the 4th grade, some left by the end of the year).

At the public school she went to for 1st they only had 13-15 kids per class and that was throughout the entire elementary school for every grade.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It depends on the school district and number of kids in your town. In my day, there were about 30-35 kids in our classes. It was fine because this was in the 1950's and kids tended to be more quiet and easy to teach,more able to listen.
    NOW, they seem to think classes have to be about 20....WHY? LOL. Is it because kids won't listen and many disturb the class and teachers need smaller classes? Wow...I am so glad I am not a teacher.
    Anonymous