What would you do?

Ok so My son will be 4 on december 13th, we have to move in november right before thanksgiving ( military ). My question is should i try and get him into a pre school here or just wait till after we move?? I feel like he's missing out :( but at the same time i dont wanna put him in somewhere and let him get used to it just to pull him out in three months ya know??

mlssgaede

Asked by mlssgaede at 2:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would wait til after the move. Never underestimate the memory power of a child(thats a quote from martin luther king, jrs wife about her own children)...they DO remember those first hurts...and with a military life moving is a part of it. For the 3 months of "skills" he might miss, teach him at home, take him to parks for social skills with others, do what ya can...because trust me, again with a military lifestyle of moving...he has plenty of time to leave friends behind.
    go with your gut mama, and best of luck to you. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He'll be fine. If you wait he will be behind. Kids adapt. Put him in one place then transfer him. Kids love meeting new kids. He'll think he has double the amount of friends before he realizes the first group of friends are gone!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I would just wait until after the move.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• good question....most children are great at adjusting....really depends on how your child is...and you know that...

be sure to prepare him...what have you been doing with him before hand?
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 2:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would talk to the preschool about just paying "month to month" since you're moving. That couple of hours he's in preschool, will give him valuable time with his friends and learning some basics, and it will give you time to pack things up, make phone calls, and get ready to move! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If you think it is best for him to be in preschool then yes. I mean regardless of where you move, you eventually have to pull him out again to move. I wouldn't worry about pulling him out and just worry about whether or not you think it is best for him to be in school.
    trelmix

Answer by trelmix at 2:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If you feel he is missing out, then put him in and he'll adjust, but there's nothing wrong with waiting either. My son is just a few days younger than yours and he'll be starting preschool next fall and that's how I want it. I think it's better for boys to be a smidge on the older end of the spectrum since they're more immature. Good luck with the move.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2010