Do you have "close" family members you don't get to see much of?

I ask it like that because of course I have lots of aunts, uncles & cousins around the world that I never get to see (or have even met). But like parents, brothers, sisters, that sort of thing.

Well I moved away from my family 10 years ago. My mom has visited twice (I paid for her 2nd trip). I've also seen my brother twice, he was a truck driver & he stopped through during a job, the 2nd time was the day I got married. Both times he had his wife (they are now divorced) & their son & her daughter. My nephew was 6 weeks the first time I met him and about 15 months the 2nd time I saw him. Haven't seen him since and he's 8 years old now. I was thinking today that he may never get to know me and vice versa. Makes me a little sad in a way. But I'm planning a trip back home to see my family in 2 years & hopefully we'll get to spend some time together. Think I'll take him with us to do some sightseeing if my brother lets us.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• I have a brother and a sister that I've never really been close to, but I live 10 hours away so the only contact we have now is FB and email. And now, because of my brother's idiocy, he is no longer speaking to any of us, including my parents, which breaks my heart. Ironically, because of this situation, my sister and I are closer than ever, but I hate it that my brother is acting this way and unless he apologizes to my parents and me, I have no intentions of ever speaking to him again.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• All of my family lives in CA....they come out or we go out once a year...but it's sad :(
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• my family is in Indiana & i'm in CA. I haven't seen them in over a year.. its hard. my sister just had a baby a few months ago. . .& I just had my daughter a few weeks ago. . .its hard for both of us not to see each others baby
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yes, my daughter, even though I am only a half hour away ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My brother. No one in our family gets to see him much. He only lives about 30 minutes away from any of us, but his fiancee' came from a family with lots of money, and does not approve of the ones of us raised without it. Lol, she says it has taken forever to "reform" my brother. From the way I see it, the only thing she has "reformed" is turning him from a nice guy, to someone who judges based on dollar signs.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I also have family members all over that I don't get to see. My parents and brothers also live too far for me to visit.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Thankfully, no. All my family and my hubby's family live in NY and so do most of my aunts, uncles, cousins etc. I love that, I get to see them whenever I want and my kids get to grow up around everybody who love them.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 2:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son is on the west coast and we are on the east coast. It's difficult but we keep in touch daily. He has come here, we have gone there, and we have met in the middle. There's also Skype, so that is a consideration.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 2:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Growing up, I only got to see my grandparents and uncles once a year. We lived about 1000 miles apart. We'd go every summer for 2 weeks.

As an adult, I moved to Italy immediately following graduation from college and have not lived in my home town since. I've lived. I'm now the closest I've lived to "home" where my mom and youngest brother live is 7 1/2-8 hour drive. Another 13 hrs to Grandma. My middle brother is in the Army and has been stationed in Hawaii or deployed to Iraq for the last 5 years.

It's been a little over a year since I've seen my family.

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We live in Sc and ALL of our family (except 2 of his cousins) live in NJ. We see my mom about once every 3-5 years (usually because we go up there). My FIL tries to come down at least once a year. My one sister has two daughters, I saw the oldest for the first/last time when she was a month old (I do talk to her on the phone every couple months), my brother has two sons I have seen the oldest 3 times now, the youngest I just met him for the first time in march, he's two. I have another sister that I talk to on the phone and through email. It's hard. but after living here for 14 years now, I've gotten used to not having family around and I kind of like not having the unsolicited advice and drama :)
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 2:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010