Need advice on how to get my 3 year old to get out of bed

I think I have the opposite problem as most parents of toddlers in that my 3 year old refuses to get out of bed during the night to go potty or when he has a bad dream. I have to admit, it's nice that he'll wake up in the mornings and amuse himself in his room until we come get him, but he really needs to go potty in the mornings when he first wakes up. We've never "trained" him to stay in bed. We've always told him it's ok to get out of bed if he needs to potty or if he has a bad dream he can come find us. He says he understands, but he refuses to do it. Last night, he screamed in his bed until my husband finally woke up and went to him, which in turn woke up our baby. If he'd just gotten up and taken care of his business, we all would've been happier.

Journey311

Asked by Journey311 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had a similar problem. I gave DS a flashlight to keep by his bed in case he needed to get up in the night and it worked. He's 4 now and he'll get out of bed without the flashlight if he needs to.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He's young for that. My 7 year old won't get out of bed. She just calls me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• be happy he goes potty my 3 yr old won't ..either put pull ups on him Or wake him up to go potty.. he will grow out of this stage then into a new one so be patience he is young
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That's deffinately oppposite of everyone's problem. LOL Our 22 month old has just started the toddler bed setting. But he stays in there when he wakes in middle of night too and cries for one of us or just cries. Last night woke the baby too. I would say put a little potty in his room, but at 3, is he completely potty trained? We have one in our sons room, and he actually did use it twice the last week....of course it was days he took a while to lay down and nap LOL
    Hope you get some good suggestions!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Do you have a nightlight in the room? I saw this really cool thing at Toys R Us... it's a pad on the ground that he can step on- once his weight hits the pad, a nightlight comes on in the room that shows him the door.

My 4 year old went through a phase where he didn't want to get up. Ends up he was scared of the dark! Maybe if you turned on the bathroom light, the hall light, or something else along the way, he'd feel safer getting out of bed!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Give him time, it'll happen.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• He's potty trained and does have a nightlight. I'm wondering if the hall is too dark for him.
    Journey311

Comment by Journey311 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Hmm... well I've never had this issue myself. My 4 year old has a cast iron bladder and can hold it all night and most of the morning. I do have to remind her to go pee when she gets up.
    Why don't you get up with him and tell him as soon as he is out of bed "Go potty please" this is what i do with my 4 year old and have since she was 2.5
    other than that.. i have no advice
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 3:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010