How can I get my son to drink the amount of milk he should be drinking?

My son just turned one last week and I'm trying to get him off of formula. He refuses to drink straight formula and refuses to drink whole milk by itself no more then just a few oz. If I mix both a little, he'll only drink an ounce or two, cold or warm.

Kittykat279

Asked by Kittykat279 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My ped said if your giving them other dairy items so they can get calcium, then it's fine.....like yogurt, cheese...etc
    My DD wouldn't drink cows milk at all.....so we just gave her plenty of yogurt and cheese.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My kids didnt like milk. But you can keep giving him formula a little bit longer if you are worried about nutrition. Give him other healthy foods.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just start by mixing half and half. Leave it cold, since that is how he will drink milk. Is he drinking out of a cup or a bottle? Just try to start with one specific kind of cup. Maybe that is also his problem, some kids are just picky LOL Then adjust the mixture by a half oz every few days.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• are you okay with adding some chocolate or strawberry powder to it? Just a little bit, to give it some flavor. It's up to your preferences, but I would think a dab of sugar is better than no whole milk at all!

What about adding it to his cereal as well? Maybe mixing the milk with a good taste that he enjoys would help it go down a bit easier!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Have you tried organic milk? My 2.5 yo calls it his cow juice, it's his beverage of choice. There are also nutrition drinks you could try; Gerber makes one, I'm sure there are others out on the market as well. We used to put fresh strawberry juice in my autistic SS's milk, it was the only way he'd drink it. (I mashed strawberries, put them through a sieve.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My daughter did this, I would mix 3/4 formula with 1/4 milk and as he drinks it just slowly make the bottles with more milk than formula. She eventually transitioned away from formula. Also you may want to give Vanilla Soy a try, my daughter loves it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We just discussed this at the docotors. I BF but she was explaining how BF for up to two years is recommended for such and such reasons, and how FF is done at a year. She also said moms who FF often go over the year to WEAN the baby. to eventual all milk. she said max 18mos should a tot ever ingest formula, because it's not necessary even at that point, but to wean it is okay so they get their dairy.
    Anonymous

• There are so many choices for calcium these days. You might try organic milk also. Yogurt drinks and other ways. A lot of times you need to make the drinks colder. I can't drink the organic milk without it being super cold or with ice.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 3:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We went to 2% milk and put a bit of strawberry or chocholate nesquik into it and he started drinking more milk. He never drank the recommended amount but would eat cheese or yogurt to make up for it.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Give your son a sippy cup with water.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010