What more can I possibly do?

My daughter has had a fever now for the past 3 days. The highest it has gotten was 103.3 (she is 10 months old). I took her to the ER last night and they just checked her urine which it was clear. Now today she still has this fever, no puking, no diarrhea. But now she also isn't wanting to drink anything which is really causing some concern. Can I do anything to try and make her want to have a drink? She is just miserable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd take her back ASAP and demand they offer better help. If you go within 24 hours you shouldn't be charged again if you are worried about that. Just go back. Have you tried an Ibuprofen to help with the fever?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i'd make her a doctors opt.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• take her to the doctor.
    the ER just wants people out of there quickly.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I'm shocked the ER didn't check basics- ear infection, allergies, teething even... has she had any recent shots?

try adding a bit of sugar to her drink. Sometimes the sweet flavor will convince them to drink more.... just a SMALL bit though. Or add some fruit juice if you'd rather do something like that.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 3:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Medicine syringe. Give her juice through a medicine syringe. GL! :-)
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I would most defidently call her Dr and see what they say. I know that my daughters Dr office has walk in sick times every day.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Do what Lyte684 is suggesting and read this link on fevers. Very helpful. It is normal for fevers to go up and down and for several days. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• OP here-

Thanks everyone. They did check the basics lastnight and the PA told me to call her doctor this morning. I called her doctor this morning when her fever was still 103.1 when she woke up, and they didn't really say much just to keep her hydrated (they think it is a virus). They also told me that if her fever doesn't subside within 48 hours to bring her back to the hospital. I just feel completely hopeless. Her eyes are red and puffy, she just cries if I don't hold her. She refuses to drink her bottle/food now. I know that we will be making another trip back to the hospital if this keeps up.

As far as Motrin/Ibuprofen we can only use it in moderation. Her sister had gastric ulcers so we can't chance the Motrin with her now. Thanks though everyone. I just want her to feel better =(
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just a head up.. Tylenol/Motrin/ have been recalled AGAIN. Even the adult ones. So unless you're using generic.. you might wanna check them.

I understand why the doctors said what they said. Her only symptom is the fever. That's not much to go on. Especially if the fever reducers actually help. GL!
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• What about an ice pop? That also might help cool her down. Poor baby.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2010