Sharing birthdays....

Does anyone in your family "share" a birthday....and if so, does it cause any conflict?
Our twin boys were born on the same day my nephew was born and now my SIL insists we celebrate "his" birthday on "his" birthday. For their first birthday last year my MIL wanted a combined birthday party, because if we had two seperate ones it would be too much cake for everyone to eat...etc. Not only do I want my boys to have their OWN celebration of the day they were born, but I wouldn't want to lessen my nephews big day either by having a combined birthday party that he has to SHARE. If I were a little kid I wouldn't want to share my party....would you ? lol We ended up having to shift our boys' bday part to the weekend, which wasn't a big deal, we just weren't given the choice...we were told we'd be celebrating my nephews bday on HIS bday! (All my SIL...ugh)!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• I don't like the idea of sharing birthdays. My DD and my nephew are 5 days apart. No way would I share. My SIL already told me she had the beginning of the month for her son. Fine with me. I like having the end of October for Halloween lol. Don't feel obligated because it's being suggested to you.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• now while your's may not border a holiday like my kids do, you have to be practical.. there is nothing wrong with wanting a special day with your kids for their birthday, as well as having a family birthday party for all the kids..

You could do presents and cake with the family, and have a special day out for their special birthday celebration with just you and hubby.. like a trip to the zoo or mini golf, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i can see how that would be a problem and be annoying. i'd rather have a bday party on the weekend though. more people are willing to come and find it less inconvenient.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My one & only first cousin was born on my 10th birthday. For me, it kind of sucked because the first few years of his life were always going out of town for his birthday party meaning I didn't get to do what I wanted on my birthday. Once I hit the teenage years, it really didn't matter and they moved too far away for us to go his birthday parties.

I think when all the kids are little, it doesn't really matter because they're not going to remember it anyway. Just sounds like your SIL wanted all the attention. Next year, have the twins birthday when you want it.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I probably wouldn't do it together, considering your boys are twins and they already have to share their party and birthday with each other. Just tell your SIL you want you nephew to enjoy his big day on his own and your going to have a separate day for your kids. Just don't negotiate.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We have several shared birthdays in my family, including my two sisters who are both April 10--three years apart. we never had an issue with anyone sharing birthdays, we all thought it was fun. Instead of one big cake each did get their own cake, but smaller versions (and personalized flavors)

But a possible idea might be to alternate years. One year he gets it on "HIS' day and the next year your boys get it on their day.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My brother and I are a year and 6 days apart. My one cousin and I were born 4 hours apart. The 3 of us always celebrated together as children. Then when they moved away, it was just my bro and I. But as teens when we had the couple big parties, age 13 and 16 they were seperate. Then as adults it went back to family dinners and one cake for both of us. Until a few years ago when my bro said something to my mom about it. LOL She never thought it to be a big deal, neither did I or my bro actually. He just wanted DQ cake twice, not just once LOL That and his favorite meal and my favorite is completely different, so he wanted his own dinner at our parents. But as a child, it never bothered me. I can see the point from your parents, especially if it's a whole family ordeal, as in your aunt and uncles, not just your siblings and their kids.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Our family shares birthdays all the time. My husband's and one of our DIL's are 2 days apart. Mine and the oldest grandson's are on consecutive days. There is nothing wrong with sharing the celebrations. In fact, we think it's good for children to learn that the whole world is not about them and their existence. You can always take the person out by himself for lunch or some other extra treat. I think it makes more for a family orientation and not so much for individualism to do it as a family. It has worked extremely well for us.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Why don't the two of you get together and plan a combined party that you both can agree on? Make or buy a cake of a smaller size so that you can both have a cake decorated as you wish. Come up with a free-for-all theme or combine themes or choose complimentary themes. Sharing parties really isn't so bad. My two girls sometimes have combined parties, but not every year. Sometimes it is just easier for everyone and more cost effective for us. My youngest dd's birthday is July 15 and my oldest dd's birthday is August 30, a month and a half apart. They choose the theme together or learn to compromise on a theme they both can agree on.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My birthday, my fathers and baby girls birthday are all within a week. It would just be wrong to share a birthday together.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010