How do you fake respect?

I need to pretend I don't absolutely hate my dad until I can get out of the jerks house. For my mom's sake.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 3:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Look him pleasantly in the eye when you talk to him. Speak to him only in a low controlled voice. If you disagree with something he says, smile, say OK, and move on. Be carefully polite.

Answer by Bmat at 3:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You do it by respecting the office that your dad holds. He is your father, and so you respect the office of father. It would be the same as respecting the office of the President of the US even though you don't like the person who holds the office. There is a respect for the position and that's what we keep in mind.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You respect him because it's his home and you and your son/his grandson are living in it. Unfortunately that's the way it goes. He doesn't have to let you live there....he could kick you out at anytime, and your free to leave at anytime.
    I think when two grown adults are in the same home it's difficult to do it for a long time....I can only stand my parents visiting for a couple weeks before we're at each others' throats and that goes both ways.
    You don't have to like what he tells you, but you kind of have to live with it since your living there.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Maybe he is not happy with you because you are at his home with a son, not married and you seem to be feeling entitled? I would be quite disappointed if either of my daughters were a teenage Mom,living at home. Sometimes we "old fashioned parents" expect more from their kids . Fortunately for my daughters, they graduated from college, then got married and then had kids and knew that they were not entitled to anything, that they had to earn it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• how do you hate your dad to start with? what he do to make u hate him
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 3:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You can't and you shouldn't. But you also shouldn't be living in someone's home, parent or not if you have no respect for them.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It's a very long story. But he acts like me living here is the reason he's miserable and he's been miserable for as long as I can remember. He constantly bitches at and critizes me. And he ignores my son most of the time. He wants to get into my personal life and is always telling me I'm not doing anything right for me and my son.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just click on your ignore button to him.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• in that case you dont. you tell him to stay out of your personal life and that you are doing what you think is best for you and your kid and to kiss your a@# if he doesnt like it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Just don't talk to him. When he butts in, give him short answers, or walk away. I don't have any respect for my brother, who is ALWAYS around... it's irritating. So I just go to my room, shut my door, ignore him at all costs. If I can't handle being cooped up, I take the car and the babies, and we go to the park, go for a walk... but I avoid him. That way there's no fights, and he can't say I was rude or bitchy.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 3:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2010