would i qualify for FS?

me and ds live with my dad. i dont "work" (i babysit practically fulltime, for $200/month), i'm also in school. my dad makes a LOT of money- overall, about $4000+ a month, but he doesnt buy food for the house and when he does, its not for us- he takes it up to his room.

$200 doesnt last long between gas (to get to school) and food. but when i apply for FS, i have to put my dad's info and he makes it so i dont qualify. is there a way around that? i live in Ohio, if it matters.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• some states take into consideration if you prepare meals together. the only way to find out is to apply and tell them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• FS (food stamps) and other public assistance is based on the income of EVERYONE in the home. This would mean including your father's pay. To know for sure if you would qualify you should consult with your state PA (pubic assistance) office. I know that my family of 4 makes LESS then what your father makes per month and we do NOT qualify for any kind of assistance. Even if we did I wouldn't apply, but I do keep tabs on where that line is at for my own reference.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My in laws are in the same situation, we live in IL. My SIL does not qualify for foodstamps because she lives with someone that brings in an income, like your father. She only could get WIC and childcare and medical.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• In addition the only way not to include your father's income is move out and not life with him!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My friend was a single mother of a toddler, lived with her dad who made well over $4000 a month but still got $500 in FS a month. All you have to do (in CA anyway) is have him sign the form saying his expenses and income have nothing to do with yours.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The only way you'll know is if you apply. Be sure to mark that you do NOT buy and prepare food with your dad.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I am a single mom, live with my parents and I get food stamps. There is a LEGAL way to not include your parents in your income. My parents wrote a letter that we prepare our meals separately and keep our food in separate areas. I have a shelf in the fridge and a cupboard of my own. The only way to know for sure is to APPLY and TALK to a caseworker.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2010