Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

currently im receiving public assistance. and i have to cooperate with child support enforcement for my benefits to continue, if not they will be terminated. i know if i have a probable good cause they say they will give me an exception. read below

well is this a good cause to not want to cooperate: i had a temporary restraining order on my son's father. the order expired 2 months before i gave birth to my son. i do not want to go thru the hassle of having to ask him for anything i just want to be bothered with it. do you believe that is probable good cause? i mean the restraining order has expired. but that would still be a good cause right?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • Alls you have to do is write out your expenses, you don't ever have to see the man. Even if the restraining order was current it isn't a good reason. and FYI they want you to cooperate because he is going to have to pay you CP and pay the state back their money. Trust me they want their money.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • I understand where you're coming from, but I believe since you are receiving public assistance the State will take him to court for support. It's not really you asking him for anything- it's him doing what he is suppossed to do, not that that means he'll do it though....good luck!!

    Answer by skittles1108 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • I would talk to the case worker and explain the situation. I believe in situations like this though you might not even have to be there and see the person. Tell them what happened to make you get the restraining order and all that stuff and let them lead you fromt here. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help!

    Answer by My3LittleGirls at 3:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • Personally, I don't think it's a 'just cause' in not wanting to cooperate. I believe, like others have stated, you most likely well not have to see him or if you do it will be in a court room or something along those lines. I pretty sure that you do not have to talk to him directly. You will just, most likely, have to provide the state with the the info you have about him, location, job, etc. Having a restraining order does not change his financial responsibilities. The state is going to want him to pay HIS share of the financial responsibilities. Receiving Child Support will most likely lower your PA benefits, that is why the state want you to cooperate. Just talk with your casework. You aren't the first one to have issue with the ex that requires things like a restraining order.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • My friend didn't want to cooperate, she said she was raped at a party and didn't report it and didn't see the guys face and it worked. Just and idea---she wasn't really, but she said it and they never asked her another question about it.

    Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.