How do you get grayish and yellow staining off of walls?

OK, so I've lived here for a year and we don't smoke inside our house, but we have to keep the walls white unless we are painting and we don't in tend. But we are in a real picky neighbour hood.
Any ideas would be great.

SarahLouise508

Asked by SarahLouise508 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm not sure. Vinegar water mix? But it may just be easier to paint LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Try washing them down with a light Fantastic cleaning solution, or a light bleach solution. Just don't get it on the rugs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You could try something like baking soda paste to wash them; I'm not sure you could get the staining out without painting over it though if it's from nicotine. As far as I know, once it's stained with nicotine, you can only paint over it, but I could be wrong. Or you could try just wiping the walls down with something first, or trying several different things. I discovered that the Dollar General brand baby wipes will clean walls pretty well, and peroxide does a pretty good job of removing stains from other porous surfaces; I've just never tried it on our walls.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I recently washed the wall going up the stairs. I used an all purpose cleaner mixed with hot water. I put in in a bucket. Then I dipped a mop in and mopped my walls. It was a great way to cover a large area. Better than using a sponge.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2010