Can I stop my cat from tearing my couch up?

We have a hole in our couch and are cat has taken in right out, we are going to fix it. I just want to help my cat stop from doing this.

SarahLouise508

Asked by SarahLouise508 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Pets

• Do you clip his nails? That would help.Also they sell cat scratchers with cat nip in them at the dollar stores.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 3:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Scratching post maybe? I had a cat that LOVED the underside and back side of a highback chair we had in our living room. That's the only chair/couch that he'd go after.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Declaw if you're not against it, or there is some kind of spray you can buy or make it yourself that you can use. I've never made it, so I'm not sure what's in it. I think citrus is supposed to be a deterrent?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My cats scratched up the couch when they were young. They outgrew it though. I wouldn't fix it yet. Can you put a blanket over it until he gets older?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• get a spray bottle and put a some water in it. If he starts acting like he's going to scratch spray in his general direction. Soon he'll get the idea that scratching furniture is a bad idea.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 3:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• If they are inside only, try softpaws, they are silicone caps you glue on the nail to keep them from scratching. Nicer than declawing (if thats not your thing or the cat is older)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Scratching is an instinct for cats and they need to be able to do it. Cats that are happy and have stimulation and good designated scratching and climbing areas will typically use them and not destroy the house.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Once we got a big scratching post my cats stopped scratching the couches. They can be expensive but so worth it. Make sure to place it out of the corner. Research says when it's in a corner they won't use it. Ours has become a piece of furniture for the cats to lounge in the living room and they get to sharpen their claws all they want.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2010