is Tom Sawyer too advanced for a child going into sixth grade?

Settle an argument for me?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 4:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• no, Tom Sawyer is usually read in the 5th or 6th grade I thought.
    it's not the censored version is it? I had computer classes with 20 somethings that would argue with me about it. Claiming that Tom Sawyer was just dumb short story about 2 boys that went to their own funeral.
    they didn't know that there was actually a whole book.

I say read the banned classics!

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son just read it in 5th grade. He is an advanced reader and said it was easy. But my niece who is not an advanced reader is having a hard time with it. I guess it depends on the kid.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• No I don't think it's too advanced. It's a great book to discuss with your kids as they read it so they can understand the language and the themes throughout the book. I think it's a great choice.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Considering we read it in 4th, I would certainly hope not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• NP, the full adult original? Or one of the abridged versions for kids?
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think the abridged version should even be read. If the full version is too advanced, then wait until it's time.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think so at all. Even if you help with some of the vocabulary, or even help with the reading. I think they would enjoy it. Mine did. Just let your kiddo know h/she is free to ask questions.
    rosekng

Answer by rosekng at 4:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I don't think it would be too advanced.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Yeah- the abridged version would be fine at that age, but the adult version would depend on the child. Some of my fifth graders would read it every year, and even the most advanced readers struggled with a lot of the vocabulary. It is full of uncommon words and phrases that make it more of a challenge.

So, from a teacher's standpoint... they may easily read it and get the general gist of the story- but an in depth understanding may be difficult. There is nothing wrong with an abridged story for younger readers. It actually helps them to gain better reading comprehension.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

Went and dug it out and it appears to be the full version - I don't see anything indicating it was abridged. We had the full Huck Finn at some point in jr high, too. Of course, this was back before they were so worried about political correctness or teaching to tests.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:25 PM on Jul. 9, 2010